Question about extending wireles signal

JONNYTWO

Baseband Member
Hi..

I own a studio, and am looking to outsource my microphone to the shed outside, behind my home. The problem I encounter is not being able to control/ visually see whats going on on my computer which will stay in the house. I will not be able to use VNC on my iphone because i lose signal when i'm in the shed. Is there a way for me to extend the wireless from my router? could i purchase another router (wireless) and have it running from my primary router out to my shed so I can use my iphone to control the recording program in my computer?

Thanks

Just for the sake of letting you know....

There are many way to extend the range of a wireless router. You can add an attenna to the router, you can run a wire from your house to your shed and place another router out there. You can move the router to a room closer to the shed.

If you can provide some more detail about distances and what exactly you are trying to do, we might be able to help you a little better.

If you don't mind a bit of digging / cable laying, I'd grab some cat5 and just run it to your shed. You can then put another router or a wireless access point in the shed (as long as you've got power in there!) and have wireless access there.

You could extend the range of your current router - but the above would arguably be the more robust solution.

You'll need to consider what type of cat5 to go for though, and you might want to run two lengths for redundancy (so you don't have to dig up your garden again if one breaks!) I've known people that just run ordinary solid core and it's been fine for years, but if you can get your hands on it I'd recommend the armoured stuff, it's far more resilient to outdoor / underground conditions.

Thanks for the replies.

All I'm trying to do- I need to use my iphone as a means of controlling my music software for record takes, uusing VNC for iphone, when i'm in the shed but theres no signal when i'm out in the shed. I am turning my shed into a recording booth for my *studio* with that said. This will be good.

Thanks

As a tip, please don't cross post on the forums. Link to other thread.

I think the best thing to do is to get a directional antenna that is aimed at your shed. Are there any trees or objects in the way? If you have a good line of sight, it should work. This might just be what you need.

It should just work. Worst comes to the worst you might have to rewire the cat5 to a crossover cable, but it's been about a decade since I've come across a situation where that's necessary - normal patch cables work absolutely fine 95% of the time these days.

I'd run at least 2 lengths of cat5 while you're at it, especially if you're running unarmoured stuff. It's cheap as chips these days and if one of them gets eaten by squirrels / moles / rampaging dinosaurs then the other one might still be safe. Just saves a lot of hassle.

I'd add that while I'd personally go for the cabled option, if you can get a wireless antenna to work then that wouldn't necessarily be a bad solution. It just comes down to preference.

I'd run at least 2 lengths of cat5 while you're at it, especially if you're running unarmoured stuff. It's cheap as chips these days and if one of them gets eaten by squirrels / moles / rampaging dinosaurs then the other one might still be safe. Just saves a lot of hassle.
Never underestimate what squirrels can do to cables. I've seen them eat every lightbulb on christmas lights... eventually killing the poor fellow. Also seen them destroy a $400 cable used for well monitoring. Client had to pay for damages.

That's why I'd recommend the armoured stuff ;) It's not bulletproof, but it does help!

Back
Top Bottom