GeekSquad Fails Computer Repair Test

Personally I'd say there's a good chance he was taking advantage of them since they were old people to try and sell a higher priced item. If they bought that more expensive one they would be none the wiser b/c they never actually used the one on sale to see if it was any slower. Yeah, there is a chance he didn't know what he was talking about as well, but they will probably do a lot to try and sell stuff.

I know an older guy that I have to help out a lot with his computers. He likes to go to Best Buy for his new stuff he gets, and he fully relies on the BB staff "expertise". If I would have gone with him when he bought his router I probably could have saved him $30.

When I bought my first notebook from BB in 2005 they tried to sell me a $300+ extended warranty and he said a lot of people use it for getting new batteries b/c they end up costing $300+. I checked later and found plenty of places to buy a new battery and none of them were even close to $300+. My battery lasted until after that warranty would have went out and I sold the laptop the next year with the original battery that still held a decent charge... The sales people will do plenty of things to try and sell you more than you need to make the money.

Hmm, I didn't know geek squad works as sales rep. The BB near me had all the geek squad people work behind the counter near the registers. The people that works near the electronics are just sales representatives that aren't computer expertise, just knows a thing or two about electronics.

The thing is that these no good rip off merchants take good business away from us independent repair people and end up giving the whole PC tech industry a bad name.
That's what winds me up

The thing is that these no good rip off merchants take good business away from us independent repair people and end up giving the whole PC tech industry a bad name.
That's what winds me up
Well yeah, they're a big company, they can afford to buy those gay beetles for their geek squad reps and have them come to your house, and do things for cheaper. Actually some stuff that BB sells comes with free geek squad setup or whatever. Then when you take your pc in to have it worked on, they want to just sell you something new instead of fixing the old.

ya, this whole...

"trust the big box stores, and consider freelance PC repair people con artists" for the most part... its the other way around..

ya, this whole...

"trust the big box stores, and consider freelance PC repair people con artists" for the most part... its the other way around..
Yeah, the thing is though, they make it so that the small independent shops can't compete with them, thus putting them out of business. An independent shop can't do or sell things as cheap as BB can.

Yeah, the thing is though, they make it so that the small independent shops can't compete with them, thus putting them out of business. An independent shop can't do or sell things as cheap as BB can.

which is why i am a bit discouraged to try to do it as a side job.

though this is why i support dah EGG lol

I don't think BB and Geek Squad Prices are that cheap personally. Especially Geek Squad. They charge $150 just to make a house call to setup a computer. Yeah, they gotta charge extra for the house call, but come on, it's stupid simple to setup a computer and it's not worth $150 for them just to come to your house.

Back
Top Bottom