wireless network slow

bklyn_playa21

Beta member
i moved my router from my second floor in the front of my house to my basement in the back. i have a linksys WRT300N so it shud broadcast a strong signal. my computer has the wireless linksys WMP300N adapter and its on my first floor about 40-50 feet away and im recieving a "good" to "very good" signal but rediculously slow...anywhere from 300Kilobits - 2Kilobytes per second

any suggestions on what to do and what could be causing this anoying problem ?

You are probably getting interference. Are there any other networks in the area?

Try logging into your router and changing it to a channel different from a network that may be interfering with yours.

To log into your router go to http://192.168.1.1/ and enter your login information. If you don't know the default login information, check this site

Channels 1, 6, and 11 are what you want to use. The channels in between those overlap.

Also go here to see what the wireless spectrum is like in my house.

i changed my wide channel setting it was on 9 now its on 6 and it looks like its running a lot better now. is there any downside to this change or anything else i should try ? thanks

i changed my wide channel setting it was on 9 now its on 6 and it looks like its running a lot better now. is there any downside to this change or anything else i should try ? thanks
Nope, no downside. Sometimes routers also have an "auto channel" feature. They don't always work properly.

Back
Top Bottom