So I replaced my friends sata hard drive....

Fee

Solid State Member
He has a Dell desktop running 64bit windows xp home. When looking at it and running a diag at boot it shows his original hdd as bad. I ordered a new WD 160gb sata drive to replace the previous one. When I put in a windows xp x86 disk and get to the part about creating &/or deleting partitions and installing xp it lists about 4 drives as unknown (only one hdd in comp) and whatever selection i pick brings me right to a blue screen..

Is there something different I need to be doing? Never had this issue before.

There may be a card reader on the computer for SD/MC card etc, etc...Each one of the slots is recognized as it's own "drive" normally.

Is the Windows XP disk an Install disk or an "upgrade disk"?

It is an install disk. Yes there are card readers on this...when i do a f12 at boot and run diags on the new hdd it shows it and it passes the test but when I try to install windows it shows unknown disks then anything I press after brings me to a blue screen...is there some sort of driver or something I need first? All my previous hdd replacements have been IDE and not sata.

EDIT: I've tried 2 different windows xp disks with no success. It shows the PC as 64 bit enabled so I have been using that version. I believe at the bottom of the blue screen it is something along the lines of "setupdd.sys" if that means anything

the new HD will be the largest, select that one, usually C. XP install should ask you to format the drive first before it installs to clean and set it up

Go under the BIOS and make sure SATA is not in RAID mode and that the SATA ports are set to read as IDE.

Go under the BIOS and make sure SATA is not in RAID mode and that the SATA ports are set to read as IDE.

Alright i'll check that right now.....

the new HD will be the largest, select that one, usually C. XP install should ask you to format the drive first before it installs to clean and set it up

Yea normally it will show that...they all come up as unknown drives and any option i select brings the blue screen... I've built comps in the past so im somewhat knowledgable but never replaced a sata drive everyones are usually IDE so im not sure if the procedure is different..IE drivers need installing..etc

Still not working... :-/ Any other ideas why the drive wouldnt show up to be able to format it and install xp? and then give the blue screen?

Is the hard drive recognized in the bios? This may sound dumb but did you forget to plug the power connector into the hard drive?

This sounds like a hard drive problem to me, the other drive was a SATA drive as well? There is no reason the new hard drive shouldn't show up in the XP install as long as it's working correctly.

Sounds like an RMA is in your future. Occasionally to replace a DOA, you get a DOA. Just a little unlucky if that's the case.

Is the hard drive recognized in the bios? This may sound dumb but did you forget to plug the power connector into the hard drive?

This sounds like a hard drive problem to me, the other drive was a SATA drive as well? There is no reason the new hard drive shouldn't show up in the XP install as long as it's working correctly.

Yeah it shows up in the bios and I can run a diag check on it and it will show the drive as being good. but then during the xp install it shows 4 unknown drives (which i believe are the memory card slots) and when I hit enter to install or deleted or create a partition i get the blue screen.

Sounds like an RMA is in your future. Occasionally to replace a DOA, you get a DOA. Just a little unlucky if that's the case.

I would think that this was DOA but then it wouldnt be showing it in BIOS and letting me run a diag check from there.

Is there anyway I can install xp on the drive if I boot up using linux mint i believe its called? might be farfetched but thought i'd ask.

Or there is a spot that says press f6 to install third party drivers...that shouldnt be anything I have to do right?

The option I see its on is "RAID Autodetect/AHCI" Should it be on something like "RAID Autodetect/ATA"?

EDIT: Trying that option now....

EDIT: WORKED! Thanks guys for the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom