QuadCore Computer locking up (fairly urgent)

thomas49th

In Runtime
Hi, my 1st computer in my sig just locks up. I could be doing anything, in a game, screen saver, clicking around on desktop. It will just stop, respond to nothing and require a restart. It happens every few days.

This started just after my 500GB hard drive failed (getting replacement sent to me now). When the hard drive was failing, my pc kept slurring (READ http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=94160). I first thought it was the cpu as I had had thermal compound issues before with my previous CPU - and so I kept taking the cooler off and reapplying thermal compound -this had no effect. A CF member suggested it was a hard drive and when I removed that the pc stopped slurring. It did however, require a repair install of windows 7 - (which also for some reason deleted all my exe's in program files x86).

I want to know now if this could be a hardware problem (perhaps the CPU got damaged during coolant application), or if it could be a driver issue. Is there any way to really test without reinstalling the OS, pulling my ram out ect?

Temps for CPU according to speedfan are 38,29,25,23 atm - however I think if have to knock 10 degrees of each because of the poor TJ max calculation something all other - can't remember now precisely.

The hottest I've seen my CPU was when I was putting on cheap coolant - got up top 106 (Celius) in speed fan, (96 degrees I think really) and then I applied artic cooling compound, which brought it down to < 50 under load. I though this may of damaged the CPU, but I would expect the system "emergency stop" to protect the CPU.

My CPU is at stock and always has been

Thanks

if your rig keeps crashing then i would assume that it would be a software issue
like not all of the drivers are there
or something
your hardware should be fine if your seeing an OS
i would try to re-install every driver you can find
or see if they are all up-to-date
and then let us know what happens

Back
Top Bottom