True story

berry120

Fully Optimized
Just an example of a problem that had a solution that was a bit different from the norm - thought I'd share :) Sometimes it's the things we never think about that can cause the strangest issues.

A friend of mine once had a problem that appeared suddenly where IE would randomly and sparodically open up for no apparant reason. Didn't redirect him to any malware sites, just opened up, same as usual, but without him doing anything. This was a problem he brushed away at first - nothing too serious, just a bit annoying. Then it started happening more and more frequently. Since this was beginning to get a bit annoying, he started poking around a bit to try and find the cause. First off, running a virus scan - nothing. Uninstalling various bits of software that might be buggy and firing off requests for IE to open - no luck there either. He even tried monitoring the thing to see if it occured within a set time, or while any certain applications were open - no correlation at all. It just seemed completely random. Whenever he was using his computer IE would surely pop up a few times at completely random intervals, and was doing so more and more often.

Eventually, he got so fed up he just decided to back up his files, wipe the disk and reinstall windows. He did this, installed drivers and ran updates, and then rebooted to a nice squeaky clean system. He then proceeded to install the software he needed again.

However, before he did, guess what - IE randomly pops up again for no reason whatsoever. In frustration, he whacked his fist down and thumped the desk. IE opened up again. Curious, he thumped it again. And again. IE opened up each time.

After a bit of thinking, he worked out the problem - it turned out one of the hotkeys on the keyboard (the internet one mapped to IE) had a loose connection, and every so often this was making contact and causing the problem. After getting a new keyboard he's never had the same problem again!

Help me with this one:

Every time I try to play a game based on Java, it crashes after 5 min. I follow the Java icon and it disappears when the game crashes (duh). Windows 7 keeps telling me there's a problem with Java. I uninstalled it. I've re-installed Java for Windows 64-bit and 32-bit. Both keep on crashing.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. This wasn't happening before I began using my new hard-drive. I think it's Java's latest update (18). I'm trying the 64-bit again and we'll see how it works out. Maybe I'll find a weird solution.

edit: Actually the 64-bit ver. is there but the game says it's not. Maybe, just a plug-in and I need both?

lol, awesome. I've never had a problem like that, but I have done some stuff to try to fix a problem when it was a completely different problem.

reminds me of a time I had one of those cheap internet keyboards with stuff like that at the time and I accidentally spilled like half a can of coke on it and the calculator button got jammed and it would just keep opening so I restarted the computer and as soon as windows loaded the calculator windows started piling up on the screen at one point there were like 75 calculator instances running. I knew exactly what was causing that though but your case is pretty random and funny

Back
Top Bottom