Internet auto disconnects when away

Kage

Golden Master
Having a very weird problem.

I'm on Virgin Media on a wired connection to a roter, and whenever I'm away from the PC for about 5 minutes, the Internet seems to auto disconnect.

Programs like Spotify/MSN/Skype auto disconnect

Is there any program that will mimick me being there and stop this happening?
Or a setting somewhere?

By "away", what do you mean? If you continually move the mouse but don't do anything, does it disconnect? Or will it not disconnect unless you literally don't touch anything for 5 minutes?

Long shot, but try putting the power settings on "always on" and see if that changes anything. It's possible something's kicking in there and mucking things up.

Thanks guys.

I mean physically move away for more than 5 minutes. Not touching the mouse wouldn't do it I don't think, as long as I'm touching some kind of button in a game for example.

I've put it on Always On. It was set to Office, and was shutting off the hard drive, etc after 20 minutes.

When I go for a shower tomorrow morning, I'll keep everything on to see if it keeps it all active. Thanks :)

Is it a laptop? Sometime they have settings on the network card that turns them off to save battery life. Could be something similar on a desktop as well.

Nope, a desktop :( + It never used to do it, so somethings happened, but its on Always On now, but obviously hasn't fixed it.

When I went to get ready today, I left it on playing music from Spotify, with MSN and Skype running.

Mid way through getting ready, Spotify dissconnected as music stopped. Came in, and MSN and Skype had gone offline too.

Its rather annoying, because I can't recieve messages while away anymore.

EDIT:

I went into the Network settings, and found a setting "Turn this device off to save power" which was on.
I don't see how that would cause it, but I'l have to test it again.

Thanks jmacavali, but no luck :( Still disconnects. Its so weird.

An application that moved the mouse or even made it jitter while I was away would sort it...

I'll give that a go. Thanks you two :)

Sorted! The screensaver was coming on, and that seemed to be knocking off everything. Turned that off, and music carried on, and MSN didn't disconnect!

Back
Top Bottom