Power supply questions

Chaosenemy

Baseband Member
Okay, I'm about to throw together a rig with these parts:

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard (micro ATX)
Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz cpu
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB graphics card
Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive
Recycled DVD Drive From Old Pre-Built PCâ„¢

So my question is: what kind of power supply should I get for this build? Keep in mind this is going in a micro ATX case. The highest wattage I could find for micro ATX cases on Newegg was 600W. Is that going to be enough?...

Okay, I'm about to throw together a rig with these parts:

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard (micro ATX)
Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz cpu
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB graphics card
Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive
Recycled DVD Drive From Old Pre-Built PCâ„¢

So my question is: what kind of power supply should I get for this build? Keep in mind this is going in a micro ATX case. The highest wattage I could find for micro ATX cases on Newegg was 600W. Is that going to be enough?...

600W should be fine for that rig.

Yeah, you should still be ok. It's not like you're running multiple video cards or multiple hard drives.

Normal ATX power supplies fit in a micro ATX case. You'll have a much better selection if you just get one of those. All of the micro-atx ones that newegg has are pretty crappy.

Normal ATX power supplies fit in a micro ATX case. You'll have a much better selection if you just get one of those. All of the micro-atx ones that newegg has are pretty crappy.

...Seriously?

Why on Earth do they bother classing some of them into "Micro ATX" if there's no difference?... Odd.

^ No, mATX spec powersupplies use ATX connecitons, but are physically smaller. They use the same width, height, and mount points as ATX ones, but are shorter in depth. Some OEM cases, like HP's old Pavilion line, used these. Normally it's all ATX though.

Oddly enough, the old Pavilion towers had full ATX motherboards. :confused:

I'll post a pic of them side by side in a minute...my phone takes a bit to upload since there's no 3G here.

edit:
1265354121.jpg

1265354099.jpg

Back
Top Bottom