Building a Home Server

I don't think it's a speed issue-I tested it yesterday and it's like a 1MB connection with 2MB upload (yes, that'd be close to 10mbit/20mbit; twice as fast as my home connection). No matter how long you let them sit and buffer, they won't play. Ever. So if Hulu doesn't work, I'll just DL my shows. Which is why I'd need the VPN since they block the ports for P2P progams

Aw crap. I have DHCP...not static IP. Poo. I suppose I can't do VPN or FTP then can I?

I don't think I wanna pay for a static IP. I don't remember how much it is.

If I've got my website can I use that instead? Or will that affect my bandwidth for it? For example, I think I can create a subdomain with my website. Could I then use that? I honestly don't know any of this stuff. Ugh. I feel lost!

I Dont think you can use a subdomain. The reason why i recomend using the DynDNS Free Service is that it keeps track of your Server WAN I.P (Internet IP Adress) and links that to a free Domain name. You install a program onto your server which updates the domain name with your IP adress,which makes it perfect for a Dynamic IP Adress. That's what i'll be doing with mine shortly once it's back online.

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Some routers will update DynDNS for you. I have a static IP address, do I dont have this problem :p :D

Dude go with server 2008. There is nothing wrong with a windows server 03 and 08 have come a long way. I saw your thing about the printer server you dont need any type of dedicated server for this you can run this off of the DC. Really simple to do and they do not need to be connected directly to the server. If your printer are able to be connected through etho, just let it pick up an IP from you router or dhcp server. Once you have the IP all you will have to do is go to printer's if using server 08 and add a printer you will wnt to maually set up the connect cause you will pick tcp/ip connection and just enter your ip in there and d/l you driver and you are golden.

Hi Frank. Thanks for the additional info on printers, however they are not ethernet/wireless. But, I did get it working how I wanted.

I am running Server 08, FYI. It's quite nice. Thanks to J03 for that :).

Since it's just my family, I don't have it setup for accounts or anything. I'm simply using it right now as a file storage system. I'm running the OS on a 40GB IDE drive which is locked to other users and then I have the entire 750GB SATA drive shared with full rights to all users on the network (because it's all info that is backed up anyways..it's just nice for file streaming for movies and whatnot).

As for the printer situation, I simple shared it through the computer that it is hooked up through. I can now print from any computer with access to the network (pass protected of course). It's nice when I'm home with my laptop or if I need to print from my upstairs desktop (or the server) to the printer (which is downstairs for my parents' use).

It's doing exactly what I wanted it to. Now, I really just need to get my parents a IR receiver for their computer so that they don't have to mess with the keyboard when watching movies. Haha. Full media experience at every TV and computer in the house. I love it!

Back
Top Bottom