Harddrive/Boot Problem

derekcantona7

Beta member
Hi All,
i am having a problem with my PC booting:

i plug in PC - computer powers on automatically
the screen comes on with "platinum" - no beeps

then an info screen comes on : (sometimes the screen appears frozen and nothing happens)
ide prim master:none
ide prim slave: none
ide sec master: none
ide sec slave: HL-DI-STDVD-ROM CDR8164B 0L06

ide third master:none
ide fouth master:WD360CD-00FLA2 31.08F31

ide fifth master: none
ide sixth master: none
cmos checksun error - defaults loaded

Press F1 to continue, del to enter setup

So i press F1, windows loading screen appears and then it reboots it self - back to start - this time with no info screen

The computer was put together by a friend 4 or 5 years ago with seperate parts as far as i know. recently another friend formatted the PC and it was working fine until very recently. now its not working properly at all.

if anyone has any ideas, any help would be appreciated please.

thanks & sorry for long winded mail...

i may be incorrect, but i believe this information will appear if it simply cant find any of your disk drives. the master and the slave are the two connectors on the IDE cable, i assume 'none' means it cant find any boot info on that connector.

probably wrong, but ill throw it out there.

Hi All,
i am having a problem with my PC booting:

i plug in PC - computer powers on automatically
the screen comes on with "platinum" - no beeps

then an info screen comes on : (sometimes the screen appears frozen and nothing happens)
ide prim master:none
ide prim slave: none
ide sec master: none
ide sec slave: HL-DI-STDVD-ROM CDR8164B 0L06

ide third master:none
ide fouth master:WD360CD-00FLA2 31.08F31

ide fifth master: none
ide sixth master: none
cmos checksun error - defaults loaded

Press F1 to continue, del to enter setup

So i press F1, windows loading screen appears and then it reboots it self - back to start - this time with no info screen

The computer was put together by a friend 4 or 5 years ago with seperate parts as far as i know. recently another friend formatted the PC and it was working fine until very recently. now its not working properly at all.

if anyone has any ideas, any help would be appreciated please.

thanks & sorry for long winded mail...

Why is your primary hard drive on the 4th master?
It should be in prim Master, not the 4th.

It also sounds like a faulty/dead CMOS battery.
"Checksum error" means that your BIOS data stored in your CMOS chip is different from what your BIOS says at startup.

Try removing the battery for 5 seconds and putting it back in, just be careful of ESD. That should clear the settings and let you start over.

If that doesn't work, replace your battery.

To an extent, follow this procedure. Before touching any part of your motherboard, firmly grasp the metal chassis to release any static build up you may have.

Why is your primary hard drive on the 4th master?
It should be in prim Master, not the 4th.

It also sounds like a faulty/dead CMOS battery.
"Checksum error" means that your BIOS data stored in your CMOS chip is different from what your BIOS says at startup.

Try removing the battery for 5 seconds and putting it back in, just be careful of ESD. That should clear the settings and let you start over.

If that doesn't work, replace your battery.

To an extent, follow this procedure. Before touching any part of your motherboard, firmly grasp the metal chassis to release any static build up you may have.

thanks people, i replaced the battery and it appears to have worked!:)

Back
Top Bottom