College Ideas

eslfish

Fully Optimized
Hey guys.

I am really having trouble on what I want to major in for College. Well, I want to go into the Computer area. I love it. I just can't really go into a field that has too much math (I am terrible at math) I just need some suggestions on what would be a good field with no/or little math used.

I thank all in advance!

Programming in itself doesn't use maths, so you might want to look at that as an option. However, lots of applications of programming (graphics / physics engines, mechanical calculations, low level networking apps, cryptography etc.) do - so you are limiting yourself somewhat if you don't want to do any maths at all. That said, you can learn things in bits as and when you need to so I don't see it as a huge issue.

Low level networking theory has a lot of stats in it - but that's only when you're really drilling down to the low levels of it. On the surface it should be ok.

Web design is another one that springs to mind, as does database / web backend work - you might want to look at both of those.

In short - stay completely away from cryptography since that uses maths heavily. But most other things will be worth investigating, and you might be surprised how little is actually in some areas.

Web design is another one that springs to mind, as does database / web backend work - you might want to look at both of those.

berry. Thanks for the input on ideas, I am leaning on web design because I do make websites for people. Web design is on my list for a major/idea.

You could major in Information Technology, and if you find a certain field that you like while taking those classes, then switch to it.

Yeah Teny, that's another possibility. I am just lost on what to do right now =p

You could do what I am doing. I am not sure which Major I want specifically. So I am taking classes that are in both majors, which gives me more time to think of what I want to do; as well as more experience to make that decision.

Remember, you have the rest of your life to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life.

My major is called - "Information Technology - Networking". There is no math involved at all. At least nothing I do on a day to day basis.

Really, I don't know of too many computer major that would have a lot to do with math...

***WOOT! #1000!***

My major is called - "Information Technology - Networking". There is no math involved at all. At least nothing I do on a day to day basis.

Really, I don't know of too many computer major that would have a lot to do with math...

***WOOT! #1000!***

What exactly do you do?

Started at a 'Mom and Pop' shop as a technician. Mostly going to help people set up their new PC's and Routers. Then got bumped up to managing a few business clients. Would go there and help them with any of their computer problems (network and non-network related). That was just a job to pay the bills and build experience.

Now I'm working as a Network Administrator for a local school. In charge of all things technology including 2 servers, 500-ish PC's, and 1100 users (teachers and students).

Started at a 'Mom and Pop' shop as a technician. Mostly going to help people set up their new PC's and Routers. Then got bumped up to managing a few business clients. Would go there and help them with any of their computer problems (network and non-network related). That was just a job to pay the bills and build experience.

Now I'm working as a Network Administrator for a local school. In charge of all things technology including 2 servers, 500-ish PC's, and 1100 users (teachers and students).

Seems pretty basic, I am pretty good at setting up routers, etc...what kind of classes do you take for it?

Back
Top Bottom