Hard drive 3D model

Kage

Golden Master
I'm learning a new 3D modeller which I bought about 4 months back but never touched, called Modo. I'm very impressed now I've settled down to actually use it, but its taking some getting used to:

http://www.luxology.com/

My first project using the software is to replicate a hard drive I have lying around.

Its no where near finished, but I'll carry on modelling this thing tomorrow! Been doing it for about 2 days on and off so far:

harddrivesofar3.jpg

harddrivesofarclose4.jpg

Very happy with it so far. That middle part is going to take a lot more cutting to get all the holes, etc... haha, because at the moment, I've only modelled the supports.

Haha, Disturbed, I have heard of Google Sketchup, yes, but have only tried it once, and couldn't get the hang of it. It tends to be for simpler modelling processes though.

Thanks Cabbs, and yes, at the moment it is too thin, but I haven't finished modelling the main drive yet, so still a lot of refining/extruding to be done. Just been working on the top part :p

Like your work man. I love how applications can render to such detail.

Just checked out the Website Gallery and there's some amazing stuff there...

How long does something like that take to render on your rig?

Thanks Remeniz :)
I'm hoping I can use modo to get renders to the standard I had when I was using Vray, but we'll see. So far, the renders are impressing me, and the workflow is really warming on me too

Yep, Modo's capable of some impressive visuals, and it costs £500, which is a fraction of other modellers out there

Testing of a very large render. Prepare any connections with a limited speed to be killed:

TestHarddrivelarge.jpg

I've started work on the top portion now

You make really some good stuff, and the details is very deeply touched. I still remember the case you've made. You've got some kickass potential there!

Simply amazing to think that those are 3D renders and not actual pictures. That watch David posted is some of the best I've ever seen!

How long would it take someone to learn to do this? Someone who's never done it before? I imagine it would take years and years and probably wouldn't be half as good as yours Kage.

Back
Top Bottom