Using Telnet to block a user

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_boothby

In Runtime
How do i use Telnet to block a user on my local wireless network, his ip address is 192.168.1.66 im just a bit new to telenet, i can log into my router, that is about it!!

many thanks

You don't use telnet to block users - you use it a bit like a telephone to talk to other devices. It's a bit of an antiquated protocol now anyway, very few people still use it.

If you want to block a user from your network then log onto your router's home page from your browser, then try and find the appropriate settings there.

If you have a router, you can login and set up MAC address filtering. That would be the best way. Just need to know the MAC addresses of all the PC/devices you want to connect and then only those devices will connect.

Can't use telnet to block access.

You still don't use telnet itself to block users anymore than you use say firefox to block users via the front end. You may be able to use it to talk to your router to tell it to block users (which is what the instructions there are saying) but it doesn't just block them by itself!

The commands given there are commands for a specific firewall, which probably isn't the same as your "worst router in the world", and so therefore won't work.

I'll probably sound like a dick, but did you try password protecting your wireless?

hmmmm just on this page it says you can http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index.php?title=SpeedTouch_Firewall:_Deny_local_IP_access_to_WAN

i would normally use the router to use mac adressfiltlering. but i possible have the worst router in the world and it does not allow me to do so. and if i unclick the "allowed on WAN" for the user in question it simply reticks it 5 seconds later, thus it not working

That site cleary does not say you can use telnet to block users. It says that you can telnet to your router and issue commands. However, it's refering to a specific firewall and is issuing commands for it. I don't know what the commands for your router would be.

When you set up MAC address filtering, you should be able to tell your router which MAC addresses you want to accept. Then if a device with a MAC address that isn't in your MAC Address 'allow' list tries to connect, it is denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom