> Options For a Mobo / CPU combo?

I'd get a powered USB hub for that. I have a feeling yours isn't so, by hit and miss you mean some usb devices are drawing more current than it can provide.

I love raidmax cases. For mid towers, they look really awesome, are cheap, and have decent ventilation. I have a different version of that case for my HTPC.

I had a hub, it was only a couple of pounds ( i didnt know where i got it from it was just lying around) it was fairly poor / badly built.. bit hit and miss ( the one port wasnt allways recognised - and the port itself had to be rerecognised a few times by the computer on a few different occasions) , so I just utilise the ones in the back of my tower and shift them around..

Sorry for eating into your time foothead :)

No problem, I've got nothing better to do...lol

Anyway, did it have an AC plug, or did it only plug into a usb port?

EDIT: this is what you need. http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PAUH210U-USB-2-0-4-Port/dp/B00008NG7G

very cheap too. I paid more like $30 for mine.

EDIT 2: I know you have a budget, but I wanted to throw this out there as well.
This is the next step up for graphics (which is worth it imo) If you can afford it, it will be better for high resolutions. (such as that on your monitor)

v1 cooler http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011608&prodlist=froogle
v2 cooler http://www.google.com/product_url?q...2=-KwbP3n_ErVyNniJpTFe_g&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title

The v2 cooler cools the card better, but it doesn't do a good job of ejecting heat out the back of the case, therefore raising temps for everything (not by much) The v1 doesnt cool as well, but all heat goes out the back of your case, so it actually helps lower temps in the case.

I would choose teh v2 for overclocking (definitely something to do with these cards) and the v1 if you don't plan to overclock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hub-ports.jpeg

it was like this one - but where the 'upstream port section' was there was a little usb extension cable attached, with USB connector at the end.. apart from that almost identical colour / adapter layout.

I need one where the ports are slightly spread apart though, as i have a couple of awkwardly shaped usb adapters, and they are difficult to put in next to eachother if the ports are close..

I will probably purchase this asap, because it will help with current rig before it goes, and the new rig.

EDIT: R.e the graphics cards + all, Going to start compiling a list of potential products / Prices, as i have no idea where I am with my budget

Yikes, that thing looks cheap.
Get the one I posted or similar. Make sure it uses AC power, or else certain devices won't work on it.

Do you have any parts you could borrow from your current rig? this could help a lot. (the DVD drive for example)

Yikes, that thing looks cheap.

Do you have any parts you could borrow from your current rig? this could help a lot. (the DVD drive for example)

lol :p Yeah it was cheap - I dont even remember paying for it! so I wasnt expecting it to work..

Current rig is an old rig - its about 4-5 years old, with no upgrades.. (These specs are off the top of my head)

Dell Dimension 9150
Microsoft XP Media Centre
Pentium D 2.80 g'hz (think its dual core proccessor)
1gb of ram
I dont know what sort of PSU is in there, or anything else off the top of my head.

CD/DVD drive is fairly average. i can probly pick one up of the internet exactly the same for $25 or something, this is why im probably going to get a brand new rig. Reset Computer to factory settings and sell, and then put the money, along with my own money, for the budget.

OK then. You won't get a lot for it though.

old PC's are basically worthless now, because everyone is horribly misinformed and gets a new one because of virii, or bloated registry, instead of making what they have work, which is super easy. This also gives people the assumption that anything old is garbage, no matter what.

Doesn't look like much could be usable, except maybe HDD and DVD drive.... selling would get you more money than that would save. Be sure to run dban and reinstall xp before selling.

- dban?, i would of just reinstalled the OS..

Yeah i know i wont get a lot.... but I think it would still be half decent, if it was back to normal settings with only the bare bones.

I have a friend who is looking for one I think id get £150-£200 ($240 -$320) or similar from mother who would probably have it for her business uses. (has a 21inch fairly flat screen monitor, and 2 slimline speakers with a decent subwoofer :) )

Ontop of that ill probably throw about £300ish ($500ish) into it.. so I think $800-$850 is realistic, maybe up to $1000, maybe!

hmm.... I'd say $240-320 is pretty reasonable for a pentium D. It's just hard to find someone who will buy, but looks like you have that covered.

dban is darik's boot and nuke.
It writes all zeroes to the HDD making it impossible to recover data you had on it.

Perhaps if you don't end up with enough money, you could simply make do with your current monitor for a little while.

Also, since you are getting 5xxx video card, you could maybe find three cheap LCD's on ebay and do this.

507d1_090910-ati-eyefinity-03.jpg

just an idea... three small monitors would be a lot better than one mid-sized one.

I have it setup on my brothers PC with a 577 (only two monitors though) and its pretty awesome. I'm saving for a new video card so I can do my triple 28 inchers.

they dont look that small to me!!

And I dont really know how much is that going to save me? (I suppose it all depends on how much i can pick up the LCD's for)

$155 for a decent 23" screen, and would there be any more expenditure in hooking up 2 screens to one (except for obviously wall mounts and any cable) i.e any other adapters / cards??

My work area is against a wall and almost behind a door so I only have about 50 inches (give or take) of wall space total to use for monitors..

Back
Top Bottom