Dell PowerEdge 2600 Raid Server

Blazer190

Beta member
A local business was about to toss this server and I pulled a few strings and had it given to me. What can I do with it? other than destroy it for the parts inside?

Side note: I got it with no HD's, so what ever I do, getting a couple of those would be the first thing... Then What?

the parts inside will be older xeon processors.
(so you'll probably have difficulty finding a main stream board with ATX mountings to actually be able to pull any usable components out.

power supplies will also be non standard.

RAM will be non standard (most likely)...

you're better to keep it as one piece and use it as a server.

or sell it on ebay.

raiding for parts won't really work unless you;re planning to fit the parts to another server.-or planning to sell the parts.

As stated the only thing that it's really good for is to use as a server. You can get some HDs and set it up at your house as a file/media share server or you can even set up a domain at your house. If you are at all insterested in Networking, this is a good chance to practice.

You can do a ton with it! You can use it as a web server, file hosting/ftp server, media sharing server, PXE Boot (google it) device, oh man...servers are fun! and a great learning tool, I have three of them myself :)

Back
Top Bottom