Ubuntu Help

hockeygoalie5

In Runtime
**Continuation of conversation in the closed-minded "experts" thread within social forum**

I AM ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL STUFF ON UBUNTU!!

mustafa@ubuntu:~$ wget /home/mustafa/Desktop
/home/mustafa/Desktop: Unsupported scheme.
mustafa@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg -i gtk+-2.18.0^C
mustafa@ubuntu:~$

That's what I get. (I tried with asterisks and without)
Sometimes it asks for a sudo password, and I can't type anything.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? :'(

I bet there's an application that'll automatically install things, but you'd need to install it wouldn't you?

mustafa@ubuntu:~$ wget *home/mustafa/Desktop*
Warning: wildcards not supported in HTTP.
--2010-02-02 17:46:17-- http://*home/mustafa/Desktop*
Resolving *home... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address `*home'
mustafa@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg -i *69165-Murrina Personal*

I get that with asterisks.

wget is a DL tool. If you already have the file, you can skip this step. No asterisks.

you will also have to have the extension specified for it to install. e.g. whatever.tar.gz instead of just whatever.

What is the extension on the package you are trying to install?

you need to your "apt-get install --packagename--"

or use the built in package manager...and check to see if the program you're looking for is in the ubuntu repo's.

^^ What they said. wget is a tool for getting files from the web (and a damn useful and powerful one at that.) A simple example would be something like:
Code:
wget www.mysite.com/myfile.zip
...and wget would retrieve that file for you. It won't install it or do anything to it, just dump it to the current directory.

For the most part though, that's not how you install stuff on linux. It's quite a different approach to windows (where the norm is just to grab a file and run it.) In most linux distros you use a package manager, which, as the name suggests, manages the installation, removal and upgrading of all your packages. It's a MUCH better system than the windows way of installing software - the central nature of it means you can upgrade everything on your system (including the OS itself) with a single click. And if you uninstall something you can be as sure as you can it's gone (instead of on windows where you never really know what's left behind.)

As said above, you use this on ubuntu by running apt-get. You'll also need to sudo it otherwise it won't let you install anything. So as an example (to install firefox) you'd fire up a terminal and hit:

Code:
sudo apt-get install firefox

...then watch it happen :)

Still having trouble with .tar.gz (glib and gtk+). I tried installing it with this:
Code:
wget *link*
sudo dpkg -i *whatever file was saved as*
and this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install *package name*
I put in the right info without asterisks.

First one just downloads, and second I get an error saying it cannot find the file. (I put the file on desktop, home folder, and downloads folder. Put only the filename.tar.gz in package name box).

EDIT:
I've also tried the sudo gpkg stuff, and got the same error.

What exactly are you trying to install? You don't point apt-get at a file, you give it a package name (which is stored in the repository) and it goes away and fetches what it needs for you.

If you're trying to install something that's not in the repository it gets a little different, but that should be the exception rather than the norm.

Back
Top Bottom