What is wrong here?

foothead

Omnicide now.
My assumption is an overdrawn power supply. What happens is when I overvolt my CPU beyond a certain point (1.675v) I get a message in the BIOS that the overvolt failed, and it will usually attempt to boot before crashing almost immediately. If the overclock is higher, it will say 'overvolt failed' then the next line will say 'overclocking failed' and will ask me to either restore default or edit my settings. The PSU is a 700w OCZ gameXstream. It is quad-rail, so it seems that it could be the 18A CPU rail being overdrawn. I just want some other opinions because the motherboard is brand new and could also have an issue that I can't find.

This is getting quite annoying because I am not able to get a stable OC over 4.15GHz

It could be the motherboards voltage controls couldn't it, and not anything to do with the PSU itself :(

I know, It just seems to me like the CPU would be somewhere near the 200w that the rail can provide. I'm not sure, does the CPU power connector provide power to anything besides the CPU? The CPU would use 160w, assuming it still draws the same amperage with the voltage increase.

Back
Top Bottom