Not sleeping properly

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Ok, I have a weird one.

My computer is not sleeping properly. Up until yesterday morning when my computer would go to sleep the hard drives would spin down and park, screens turn off and all my case fans power down. Now (no changes to the system) the fans never turn off and all case lights stay on. The hard drives still spin down though.

If I wasn't sleeping next to the thing (and paying electricity) I wouldn't be so concerned. I have tried new chipset, lan (originally i was able to get the issue to stop by unplugging LAN before sleeping) audio and video drivers. I have even updated BIOS. Thinking that it may be a virus ( I had left a web page up that previous night) I have scanned the computer but everything comes clean.

Just shutting down/hibernating is not an option as the computer needs to be in sleep/fully operational for TV to record and my automatic backups to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Does it run hot? You could always turn down the fan speed.

edit: Just curious, what OS are you running? I quickly Google'd your problem and it doesn't seem too weird for Vista users.

I doubt it's heat( GPU and CPU fan's aren't that loud) but I'll blow it out next time I get the chance (later this week).

When i was running vista I had the same issue but it stopped when I disconnected from my school's VPN after I was done with homework. Now, it's Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Before anyone asks, it is fully legitimate.

As we speek, I'm backing the system up so I can restore it back to what it was before the issue started to rule out any other software issue.

^ That's a great idea. Considering W7 has been "recently" released it makes sense that software could have triggered this, especially because of the random nature of the problem.

The only reason I suggested turning down the fan speed is in case you can't find a fix. It would help you fall asleep quicker, lol.

The only reason I suggested turning down the fan speed is in case you can't find a fix. It would help you fall asleep quicker, lol.

Lol it's more the blue LED's built into the fans that keep me up, not the noise.

@lhuser I will double check that as well.

I'll get back to you guys tomorrow when it's all done.

Ok, in the hopes this doesn't get auto-merged (If so, I'll bump later tonight)

Ok, so I blew out the system (it wasn't really that dirty) and I imaged it from a backup from Friday night/Saturday morning when I could guarantee everything was working. Unfortunatly, the results are the same.

I did check the BIOS and it is set for S3.

I don't have time to play with it any more now (gotta get ready for class), but do you think that maybe NOD32 is playing something here (like constantly scanning)?

Idk what to tell you guys... Now without any changes since the last post (no messing with NOD32) It's sleeping like it used too...

I hate computers some times.

Back
Top Bottom