Strange External HD Issue

Kahnwolf

Beta member
Hello all,

First time poster, i have a good amount of experience with computers, although this is my first custom desktop. I am by no means an expert in the field, have only been working with computers and networking for about a year now in depth.

Here is the issue I have been having: (both 1TB external HDs are external power source NOT USB powered.)

I have a 1TB WD MyBook External HD via USB, recently it has been connecting/disconnecting (interupting any file transfers or playback). So in an effort to try to discern if it was the usb connection i removed it from the enclosure and connected it to my desktop via SATA. It seemed to work at first, but soon enough playback would slow down almost to a halt (<10FPS on a movie)

Thinking this may be a good indicator the HD is going bad i proceeded to attempt to save my photos by moving them to my 300GB WD Velociraptor HD(10k RPM). However in the middle of transferring the computer reported an error copying a file, figuring it was just the HD being how it has been, i hit retry. A couple minutes later my whole computer froze up requiring a force restart.

Upon restart i found the Velociraptor was no longer registering with the system. I restarted the system once more only to hear the Velociraptor now "clicking".

After removing the Velociraptor and booting into windows in an effort to go online and begin some research, i found my network adaptor was no longer functioning and could not be automatically repaired. Lacking knowledge of what to do to attempt to fix it, i chose to do a fresh instal on my SSD. I am now back up and running with an old laptop 150GB HD and my 30GB SSD(runs my OS).

In an effort to recover the data on my external i purchased a new 1TB Seagate FreeAgent and tried to move some data over, however again the drive would disconnect and reconnect randomly! Could not even play through a 3min song!

I dug out my laptop to test on another machine, however the new HD worked just fine on there going through 6 min worth of audio. Perplexed i decided to try the old external on the laptop, it seems to work just fine, i have been transferring data from the old WD HD to the new Seagate for about 2.5hrs now without issue.

Also, on the desktop i am able to run a USB powered Seagate 320GB HD and a Flash Drive without incident.

Now i am thinking that it could be an issue with the USB ports or a driver somewhere is my best guess.

Here are the specs my desktop is running

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

. CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX3M2A1600C8

. CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

. 1 OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

. 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

. Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860 -

. EVGA P55 FTW SLI 132-LF-E657-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard -

. Antec Six Hundred Black / Silver ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

. 1 SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

Any help is appreciated ^_^

Thanks in advance,
Austin
LCpl, USMC, Data Tech

Sometimes those USB ports don't supply enough juice to run an external drive.
I have seen people use two USB power plugs.

I'm not sure if it's a possibility, but it could be the USB ports making noise, and could interfere with transfers, but once again, I'm not sure. Hav you tried connecting them in the back?

I'm saying this, because my desktop killed 3 USB flash drives. I don't have much luck with external devices...

Back
Top Bottom