Router Problem

usher

Beta member
right ok, for the last week or so my laptop has had problems connecting to my router(Netgear WPN824) such as sometime it won connect and sometimes it will but when i try to load web pages just says problem loading page, now the icon with 2 computer screens and the blue ball in bottom rght corner shows the wireless is connected but doesnt connect, so today i go to pc world and explain they say my router is broke, so i buy another router(WNR2000) and for a couple of hours its fine then it disconnects and this time the icon in bottom corner shows its disconnected.

can anyone help or have any idea what and where the problem lies.

also could the security key cause these problems, or the router firmware not being up to date?

thanks
usher

The security key is either correct or not - it wouldn't cause intermittent connections.

Saying that your router is broken from that information is a very long shot - I'm not surprised it didn't help. It could be any number of things, admittedly including the router (but I certainly wouldn't advise replacing it at the first sign of a problem!)

Since you've ruled out the router, it seems the problem might be with your laptop - can you connect with another computer ok or do you get the same issue?

The security key is either correct or not - it wouldn't cause intermittent connections.

Saying that your router is broken from that information is a very long shot - I'm not surprised it didn't help. It could be any number of things, admittedly including the router (but I certainly wouldn't advise replacing it at the first sign of a problem!)

Since you've ruled out the router, it seems the problem might be with your laptop - can you connect with another computer ok or do you get the same issue?

well my ps3 is connected by ethernet and when my laptop as disconnected the ps3 hasnt

I'd check the drivers on the laptop. Update the wireless driver. How far away are you when the signal drops? Does it happen if you are in the same room as the router.
Delete the router's wireless profile from your computer, take off all security, reconnect and see if it keeps you connected. If so, add a lower level security and try again.
Take your laptop to a hotspot (fast food resturant)or a friend/family with wirless and see how it works there. If it stays connected there then it is something with the settings in the router (but not necissarily a bad router).

Back
Top Bottom