My mom is stubborn...

SPuNKYbd

In Runtime
Ok so i built a micro atx on newegg for around 200 dollars, and a couple parts ive had laying around...

She insists that she doesnt have the money to upgrade.

She has a dell optoplex gx260, 2gb's of RAM. I mean her system isnt all that terrible for what she uses it for besides the on board video. 64mb intel extremte crap stuff..

Im looking at this one right now , but im not sure about it.. any suggestions?

Ok so i built a micro atx on newegg for around 200 dollars, and a couple parts ive had laying around...

She insists that she doesnt have the money to upgrade.

She has a dell optoplex gx260, 2gb's of RAM. I mean her system isnt all that terrible for what she uses it for besides the on board video. 64mb intel extremte crap stuff..

Im looking at this one right now , but im not sure about it.. any suggestions?

the AGP interface really limits your options, but the 6200 is absolute crap, if it were me I'd spend $20 more (~$60) and get a 3650, the cheapest one available, I doubt your mother games and that card will be way better for video playback and other things she may use it for (Blue Ray, HD DVDs, etc.)...

the cheapest one at teh 'egg is ~$66 shipped...

AGP Powercolor 3650

Thanks, yeah all she uses this for is internet and what not...

I try pulling up MS word and it takes ages, shes use to it, i put some extra ram into it, and re-installed her xp.

I try pulling up MS word and it takes ages, shes use to it, i put some extra ram into it, and re-installed her xp.

You can add 1TB of RAM and her computer would still be just as slow. If she wants an increase in performance you need to upgrade the processor. With older machines, it's not worth the upgrade. She'd really be better off with a dual-core barebone build. Unfortunately, she doesn't want to spend money, so that doesn't leave you a lot of options.

Then, I suggest get rid of any possible crapware. I don't recommend re-installing because you'd need to do a TON of updates (assuming MS didn't remove them from their servers). Next, go into "msconfig" and disable anything that you will not need to use (including IE). Download Google Chrome before disabling IE. If you chose to re-install and download updates, you'll have to wait until updates are installed before disabling IE.

This should speed up her experience significantly. I'd also try to install as least applications as possible.

edit: Make sure you have all the proper drivers installed. That will also enhance her computing experience.

Back
Top Bottom