improve the ipad

This thread is for all of you that say this is garbage and doesn't have a "real" market etc. This thread is dated back from 2001 when the original iPod was released.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

Does anyone see the similarity from the posts here to the posts there from 2001? Gee now everybody has a freaking iPod.

Two points here.

Firstly, as I've said before, however much people are slating the thing there are others pointing out that the device is pretty revolutionary. There weren't any other MP3 players at the time that offered so much storage - it was truly out there and different. By comparison no-one can claim the ipad is revolutionary and different compared to the other offerings coming out later this year. As far as I can see, it's worse.

Secondly, just because the ipod and iphone have succeeded doesn't automatically mean everything apple launch from now on beginning with the letter i will succeed.

But hey, I could be reading this back in 5 years time and be completely wrong. I haven't got a problem with that, and this world changes so fast literally anything could happen.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1005006 said:
This thread is for all of you that say this is garbage and doesn't have a "real" market etc. This thread is dated back from 2001 when the original iPod was released.
that thread was populated mostly by people who didn't have an MP3 player, people who just had aCD player, and CD's were enough.
I didn't have a hard drive based MP3 player, I had a friend who did have one, (one of the early ones built around a computer sized HDD).
I had another friend who had one with storage on flash cards, I had a CD player that played MP3 on CD's, all of us that had devices trying to be something as good as the Ipod, wanted the ipod.
all those who were happy with their CD players, and only being able to select from a handful of runes at any one time couldn't see the point.

for my part, the first time I used a tablet PC was also around 2002/2003 at the time it was a bit big and clunky, (because it was really only a normal laptop with a pivoting screen, which frankly failed at being a tablet, and failed at being a PC, but straight away, for a professional, (and at the time I was a student), I could immediately see many uses for this device, reading books, performing floor walks and audits etc -because you can take your notes and put them straight onto a PC straight into documentation rather than having to type out notes.

10 to 1 say if somebody bookmarks this thread in 5 years the iPad will be extremely popular and most people will have one.
this thread is about the shortcomings, if in 5 years the ipod still doesn't have any way to interface with external devices, has no mass storage support, has no flash support then it'll still be limited, not unpopular, but limited.

I also get a bit annoyed when apple act like they are undoubtedly the best at everything. "This is the BEST at browsing the web." Err... not for viewing a flash based site it won't be. Yes apple, I hate flash too. Yes, I think it should be abolished from the internet as well. But the fact is it's not - and as such it seems they've created the ipad for the place they want the internet to be tomorrow, not what it actually is today It's not the best. It's just different. Claim what you like - most intuitive, most pleasing, I don't care. But claiming a device that doesn't support flash offers the best browsing experience money can buy is plain wrong as far as I'm concerned..
indeed, and in britain at least apple aren't allowed to run their ads that say that the iphone allows you to reach "every part of the internet" because it doesn't, so our trading standards told apple that they couldn't say that as it was untrue and misleading.

people are creating problems to try and apply this thing to. I'm fine using a laptop to show people photos. I'm fine using a netbook for a bit of internet browsing here and there. I'm fine using my existing email client, and I bet I'm a damn site more productive on thunderbird with sorting out my email!

I think that this is the same as the ipod arguement as above, some people are happy with a personal CD player, and carrying around their entire CD collection, (or parts of it). others, (like me) aren't...

some people are fine to carry about a phone, a music player, a PDA, a camera, etc. others want a convergence device that vaguely checks all the boxes and allows you to do these things.
whilst I may take notes, listen to music, stream radio, or write documents whilst on the bus on my iphone the question is will it ever replace my stereo, -no.
will it replace my CD player -no.
will it replace the built in MP3 player I have in my car -no
will it replace my laptop for writing documents -no
will it replace my laptop for browsing the internet -no.
will it replace my proper digital camera -no (though as it happens I don't actually have one anyway at the moment).
will it replace my TV -no.

but is it a good interim measure if I'm away from my stereo? is it good enough to browse websites on whilst I'm on a bus, or a train, or just can't be bothered to get my laptop out in an evening? is it good enough to watch videos on whilst I'm on the move... yes, it checks all the boxes as a device that I can just use as and when I'm either too lazy to get a proper laptop out, or frankly don't have enough pocket space to carry around proper devices to provide a dedicated device...

and i think that's a problem for the ipad, it's not pocket sized and portable, you're still going to have to get it out and turn it on, to do these tasks... and if you;re getting out an turning on a ipad, why not a regular laptop?

the ipad is never going to sit between net book and phone. it needs to replace net books, sitting between desktop/full sized laptop and phone.

"we're the best, this is the best, netbooks are crap and everyone else is wrong, use this."
Realistically, net books are crap though. they don't replace phones, the don't replace PCs, they are underpowered, have limited expandability (if any). you can't just have a net book, and completely replace your PC and till expect to get the same kind of use.
(I.e you can't own a net book on its own).
you ideally have to complement a net book with a PC for when you get sick and tired of using a tiny screen with a tiny keyboard.

I honestly think it'll all come down to whether people are clued up enough to realise that the ipad definitely isn't the be all and end all of the tablet world.
that's the question, and as I tried to say above, the constant onslaught of apple marketing is going to try to make that decision as hard as possible...

I can. Eye strain caused by the LCD. Its really bad if you are just reading for hours trying to go to sleep like I do.
I regularly use my PC to read for ages, and have regularly started using my iphone to read websites and PDF books. generally I find that if I turn down the back light a bit then eye strain is almost eliminated.

It seems like for the ipad though, apple has switched from being "it's cool, it's new, it's different and it's innovative, try it!"
and that's probably their biggest mistake.
Apple make cool stuff, that's their biggest selling point.

there is little to no difference between the way a device like an ipod works and any other music device,
the many other music devices often have advantages over ipods even, (not being tied to itunes or one device one PC etc). but Ipods still sell... why? because they are cool. they are a must have item.

Completely agree with the above points root - very well put. I didn't know about those ads being banned in the UK, but I'm glad they have been. Good old common sense prevailing if you ask me, I agree with the verdict.

Just one tiny niggle:
Realistically, net books are crap though. they don't replace phones, the don't replace PCs, they are underpowered, have limited expandability (if any). you can't just have a net book, and completely replace your PC and till expect to get the same kind of use.
Without wanting to get too far off topic - I wouldn't say netbooks were necessarily just crap. Sure they don't replace laptops or PCs, I wouldn't argue that they did. But whack chromium on it and you've got a cloud based, cheap little computer you can take anywhere. Boots up in ~6 seconds from pressing the power on button and not the end of the world if you lose it or break it (it's cheap and all the data is on the cloud anyway.)

At least, that's how I would see them being used :) I agree that the netbook is really at war with the tablet though, it's difficult to justify both. Either device could win - personally I prefer the netbook at the moment (since it folds in half it's inherently more resilient and portable) but we shall see!

Personally I'd like to see tablets combined with this technology. It'd make them far more portable and protect the screen as well.

you ideally have to complement a net book with a PC for when you get sick and tired of using a tiny screen with a tiny keyboard.
The difference is however down to marketing again , i havent seen any netbooks that are being marketed as replacements for your main pc ,Netbooks are aimed at occasional use when carrying a full sized laptop would be a waste , for instance im a student at the moment and i see a lot of students on my course bringing netbooks to lectures for note taking etc . In fact i was considering one myself for this purpose .

Well,

it seems that apple are not stupid.
in fact they are either lazy, rushed or want to screw as much out of us as possible.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/04/ipad_camera_apple_patent/

the ipad (apparently) is already built with the frame ready and waiting to fit a camera that apple already use as a stock standard piece.

so the fact that it doesn't have it now suggests that by release 2 it will have one...

being as the design already accommodates it, the software, (being iphone) likely already supports it. and the fact that it's not included now seems little more than an extra treat for later versions so that apple can keep us all buying device after device after device.
(much like how pretty standard phone features have been missing from lots of iphone release, each release brings about a new thing, (bluetooth, MMS, copy/paste etc) that most people would have really liked to have seen from the start).

Its very obvious they have the final revision design ready, but get money out of early adopters to then make more of the later revisions. That to me is cheating.

Rather like Nintendo have done with the DS. How many versions have there been of that since the start?

DS, DS lite, DSi, DSxl

Its mad

Make the first one the final. Don't go sucking up money

Make the first one the final. Don't go sucking up money
Unfortunately, sucking up money is the ultimate aim of these companies - so if they can find a way to do it, they will.

It's common knowledge that the iphone came in a lot cheaper than some were expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if they've compensated for this by planning to release later, better and more expensive models further down the line. You'll get at least some people buying both of them that way...

Back
Top Bottom