Wireless Printer Networking problems

IowaBoy

In Runtime
So today I found out it would just be cheaper to use a wireless network instead of a wired, bought the wireless adapter for the desktop and so fourth. Hooked up the printer to the wireless router and for some reason the adapter on my computer reads the printer's signal as an internet signal, there for not allowing me to add it as a printer....IM LOST...

Any suggestions on how to fix this...?

Once your printer software is installed onto your computer, do the following:
XP/VISTA DIRECTIONS
1. Start
2. Control panel
3. Go to hardware and sound ----> printers (just printers in XP)
4. On the toolbar click add a printer
5. Click the box, Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer.
6. Finally your computer will search for the printer and you can then click on it and you are done.
--
Have you done the above steps yet?

You've installed the printer software and everything, correct?

On EVERY computer you're trying to use the printer with?

Installed the software and stuff

Right now the printer is for my computer only

so ur printer has a wireless card on it? im alittle confused as to how ur setting it up

oh ok. in that case i would assign the printer a static ip number such as 192.168.1.150 ( somthing high). then choose the add network printer option on the computer, create an IP port using the assigned printer address and continue from there. basically manually adding a network printer is alot easier and accurate then trying to have the pc find it on the network

Tried adding it manually already. I did print off a "Network" paper (was in the options) and entered all of the information. Nothing showed up for printer, but on the internet the NETGEAR router does show up...Will give it another try though:)

**NETWORK PAGE**

Obtain IP Address Auto
IP Address 169.254.132.254
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway None
APIPA Enable

Gave it another go...didn't work...you guys sure its not from having it hooked up to a computer for a "main base"?

That IP address you have is a public IP. It needs to be an internal IP. You need to assign a static Ip to the printer. The ip address needs to be in range of your router. The subnet mask should usually be 255.255.255.0. And the default gateway should be the IP of your router. The reason your network is not able to locate your printer is because it is seeing it as outside the network.

Back
Top Bottom