improve the ipad

I don't think HTML code works on this forum
No HTML code doesn't work, try bulletin code.

Good points root - I'd agree that a lot of apple's success so far has been down to brilliant marketing. Would I be correct in assuming then from your post you'd say if the ipad does succeed it'll be on marketing prowess rather than the device itself actually being good?

I do wonder though whether this will be enough this time. You could say the same with tablets that were released ages ago - they never caught on. But this time around there's a whole new generation of tablets geared to launch at the same time as the iphone; they could potentially get a lot more attention this way.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, the device might not be any good but some clever apple marketting will make it sell.
You say that there are tablet pc's now, I agree. And these are good, but I can't help but think about the same thing with the phones, there are lots of better quicker smarter smart phones with more features, but those devices still aren't iPhones and still aren't as popular.

Fast forward to the ipad. And compare its specs to these beauties, all due to come out sometime in the near future. Quite frankly, they're pretty much all better...

*Jaw on floor*

I haven't seen most of these yet! I can't wait! I called a couple things right from the beginning, too:

1) If the iPad (such a stupid name...) is too much like what it looks like, which is a giant iPod Touch, it's going to be lame...and it does and it is...

2) All this is going to do if Apple misses the mark, which I believe they COMPLETELY DID, is open up the door for other Slate-type devices. The genre has had a stigma for years due to past failures and, now that Apple has "made it cool", there will be a flood of other, better devices in the segment.

And, read my post here:

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=94579&page=2

"What I'd like to see: Google get with HTC. Have HTC make a nice, sleek tablet with a USB port or 2, an SD slot, a standard headphone jack, a camera, wireless, 3G with an open chipset (a chipset exists that will work across all networks but I can't remember what it's called) so the user can pick which network they use. Then, run it with the new Chrome OS. THAT would be awesome."

...I'll be damned if I'm the only one thinking the same thing! Right on the bottom of the article you referenced, it talks about damn near exactly what I said. I'm tellin ya...Chrome OS on a well done, HTC built tablet would be AWESOME!!!

For now, this iPad is a major let down. Like I saw someone else in this thread mention, an ion powered netbook would smoke this trinket like a cheap cigar, hands down. Hell...I'm not convinced my nearly-year-old HP Mini wouldn't smoke it...it was cheaper, I put Windows 7 Ultimate on it, I PLAY WOW ON IT!, it has FLASH (rofl), on and on and on...as I've said before, why should Joe Blow buy this instead of a Netbook?

i know theres a few posts but i felt like making another
i followed the ipad coverage and i feel apple screwed them selves
they could have had a sick product, as big as the iphone
here are my complaints
1. why run an obvious netbook replacement on iphone os
a modified leopard would have been ten times better with multi tasking leopard os programs plus throw in ipod app support and you have a huge o/s hit
2. no camera!?! this this screams ichat/oovoo/skype video chat on the go and on top of that your not even going to give me the option to take regular pictures?
3. no built in usb or hdmi? just plain stupid....
4. chip choice... i cant really speak of how apples new chip will preform but i much rather would have preferred an intel chip such as atom or even a higher end one with nvida's tegra solution. would dramatically increase graphics power for gaming plus giving you 1080p out put. Download a movie play it off your ipad right to your big screen tv
5. 120 bucks extra so i can pay AT&T 30 bucks amonth for data? RIP OFF
how about every one includes a sim card slot and i have the ability to choose AT&T or T-Mobile that way the to can compete and that 30 bucks might drop down to 10-15 bucks

hopefully the hacking community will pull threw and give me an os choice... and depending on chip power and ram....windows 7 would be sick ;P

Regardless of Cameras and other fancy gadgets, anything without a USB port is a big no-no for me.

All this tablet stuff has got me wondering.

I don't think it'd be too hard to swivel-mount the lcd on my Eee 900A, and a touch panel for it will cost ~$50. Then I'll have a linux tablet that has a full desktop OS, and a physical keyboard.

I wonder why there aren't any netbook like this....?

Fast forward to the ipad. And compare its specs to these beauties, all due to come out sometime in the near future. Quite frankly, they're pretty much all better...

This is really the same reaction both the iPod and the iPhone both received when they were first released.

root said:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, the device might not be any good but some clever apple marketting will make it sell.
You say that there are tablet pc's now, I agree.

Quite frankly, the notion that all Apple users are mindless idiots who purchase their products purely due to advertisements is insulting. I expected better from you.

root said:
And these are good, but I can't help but think about the same thing with the phones, there are lots of better quicker smarter smart phones with more features, but those devices still aren't iPhones and still aren't as popular.

Have you stopped to think it may be due to software? Just because a phone has the latest features doesn't necessarily mean it's the best phone. You need to pay attention to how it's implemented, which frankly, Apple has succeeded in doing.

Despite what you think about Apple, their company has been influential in changing whatever industry they decide to delve into. No argument about that.

By the way, for those who are arguing about price - think about this.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015TG12Q/ref=kinww_ddp
http://www.apple.com/ipad/pricing/

applehh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom