ISP trouble

motard1

Beta member
New here. SO,I hope this is in the right section. Heres my problem today.

My isp is my city electricity company. I had a dynamic ip address. I needed it changed,due to a few issues caused by friends and others.
After a few conversations with tech support,the company assigned me a static address.
So I do as they said and reboted,nothing changed. Went into network and sharing. Manually entered new ip,subnet mask,and default gateway. But they gave me no dns server #s to enter. ANd the box to assign automatically will not highlight.

SO I called tech support back. ANd am now awaiting their call with help.

SO,is there something I did wrong? How do I remedy the issue?

Oh, I dont use a wireless router,ethernet only.

If it's a dynamic IP address then it would've changed at some point anyway - a lot of them change when you reboot your router. If not then it probably would've changed in a few weeks max.

A static IP address however doesn't change (hence the name.) So if they've assigned you that and it's the same as your existing one, they've probably misunderstood what you were trying to put across.

Just a point, when you said you rebooted you did reboot your router right?

The Static address will need to be assigned in your MODEM not on your router or computer. You want a static IP address for your internet access and this is in your modem. That is probably the issue.

Back
Top Bottom