improve the ipad

There's one big reason why I think the ipad doesn't stand a great chance of taking off.

Let's look back at the iphone - it was great because it trounced all available competition at the time. It was a few years before android caught up and started to offer a viable alternative, by which point every other person seemed to have an iphone anyway! I thought it was a brilliant idea at the time - and yes, it's enjoyed a great success.

What about the ipod? Again, the MP3 players available at the time weren't really marketed at consumer use, and those that were were ugly things that were hidden away in a corner. Most people were still using portable CD players. The Ipod completely turned that around, and again while you had other offerings following a few years afterwards, they weren't necessarily superior and the ipod had established itself by the time they came out anyway.

Fast forward to the ipad. And compare its specs to these beauties, all due to come out sometime in the near future. Quite frankly, they're pretty much all better...

I'm still not convinced the whole tablet thing will take off at all to be honest. It seems like people are trying to find problems they can apply the solution too rather than the other way round, and that very rarely works. If they do take off though, I don't think apple will take the crown with their ipad - at least not this generation of it.

MP3 players are better by other manufacturers, but because Apple has now stood ground as having the tech to have, and every person that goes gaga over fashion, has an Apple product (be it an Iphone or an Ipod), I won't be at all surprised if it does take off. I am not saying thats how everyone thinks, but the magority of people you ask get Apple products because their friends have them. Theres no thinking involved.

You know people are going to buy it, purely for the name

quotes from around the internet:

"its a big iphone you cant make calls with"

"its a mac, but easier to break and harder to work with"

"tablet PCs are a solution without a problem"

"16 GB computer? back to the ninties"

"atleast netbooks can multitask"

What ever happened to the android tablet people were talking about a while back? I figured it would be something like this, except it would actually be reasonable to use because android is a much more customizable OS and I'm sure google would give it pretty much full desktop OS functionality.

What ever happened to the android tablet people were talking about a while back? I figured it would be something like this, except it would actually be reasonable to use because android is a much more customizable OS and I'm sure google would give it pretty much full desktop OS functionality.

Have a look at my post at the top of the page! ;)

There's one big reason why I think the ipad doesn't stand a great chance of taking off.

Let's look back at the iphone - it was great because it trounced all available competition at the time. It was a few years before android caught up and started to offer a viable alternative, by which point every other person seemed to have an iphone anyway! I thought it was a brilliant idea at the time - and yes, it's enjoyed a great success.

Fast forward to the ipad. And compare its specs to these beauties, all due to come out sometime in the near future. Quite frankly, they're pretty much all better...
rewind a little there...
2002, apple registered trade marks for iphone.
2007 the iphone was actually released.

five years in development and it was entirely lacking from the start in the first gen, I mean it didn't support 3g, blue tooth, multimedia messages. hasn't had proper gps until 3g versions either, (2008)

yet windows mobile phones in 2003 supported all of these things. I saw windows mobile phones with built in gps in 2005... -before the iphone was even announced... in 2005 my windows mobile phone had stereo speakers as well. (and media messaging)... in fact it would do everything that the iphone I have now (3gS) does, the only exception being the multi touch feature.

the iphone isn't the most popular phone because it's brilliant, or revolutionary, or has loads of features, or even loads of apps, because windows mobile phones have had all of these for ages...

the reason that the iphone succeeded is the same reason that the ipod succeeded, and it'll be the same reason that the ipad will likely succeed, apple are very (very) good at marketing.

has it not occurred to anyone that since Apple started using intel processors they are essentially selling a standard PC, (not even a high spec one), running a free OS, (BSD), just packaged in a shiny box with an apple logo on it. and they are charging between 2 to 3 times as much as it'd cost to buy a similar machine and install BSD...

most of apples products have no intrinsic added value in their function or use compared to competition... they are just extraordinarily well marketed.

http://mashable.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipad-downsides/

Good points root - I'd agree that a lot of apple's success so far has been down to brilliant marketing. Would I be correct in assuming then from your post you'd say if the ipad does succeed it'll be on marketing prowess rather than the device itself actually being good?

I do wonder though whether this will be enough this time. You could say the same with tablets that were released ages ago - they never caught on. But this time around there's a whole new generation of tablets geared to launch at the same time as the iphone; they could potentially get a lot more attention this way.

if the iPad has OSX on it then it would all of a sudden be a few hundred dollars more expensive because apple is looking to make money off of apps. if you have no choice to get free productivity software then you have to get iWork from the app store. same with games, if you cant play flash games online then you have to get games from the app store. steve jobs even said during his keynote that there are over 120,000 credit card enabled accounts on itunes. thats who his target crowd is.

Back
Top Bottom