Basic Computer for Upgrading

Aaronx

Baseband Member
I stumbled upon this site while looking for computer savvy people who might be able to offer some insight as to which base computer I'll be purchasing.

First off, as with most of us I believe, I am on a fairly cheap budget; i.e. $1,000 or less preferably.

I will probably be ordering online as well, as I've been hearing good things about NewEgg, and Tiger Direct.

I'll be pretty much using this computer for WoW and Music, but I also don't exactly want to limit it to just that, either. If it must be done for the sake of saving money, however, I suppose i could live with it.

Currently, I'm hoping to spend little on the actual computer itself ( >$600 ), and l to spend the rest on upgrades, Graphics Card, Ram if need be, PCU, ect.

To start it off, does anybody have any opinions on this computer?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5618605&CatId=4009

I've never really heard of / dealt with the Acer brand before, anyone hear anything bad about them?

I like the price tag, as it leaves money for upgrades. The 3G Ram seems like a decent starting point, as my last comp only had 2G and ran perfect. The dual core is also nice. 640G Harddrive is probably way more than I need, but it's still nice to have.

and finally it comes with Windows 7, instead of Vista, which a couple I've seen only come with.

nope
you can build something better for 600 than the asus even check out some barebones and upgrade those if yah want

I see, a barebones kit.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5633691&Sku=B69-1164

That caught my eye immediately. The processor is already really good it looks like, as with the RAM. Again, the 1TB Harddrive is ridiculously large, but oh well. Maybe I'll sell it.

I'm also digging the aesthetics of the Tower, very cool.

Does this look like a good starting point? Like I said, IMO I wouldn't have to upgrade the Processor or the RAM, but I really don't know all that well.

I see, a barebones kit.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5633691&Sku=B69-1164

That caught my eye immediately. The processor is already really good it looks like, as with the RAM. Again, the 1TB Harddrive is ridiculously large, but oh well. Maybe I'll sell it.

I'm also digging the aesthetics of the Tower, very cool.

Does this look like a good starting point? Like I said, IMO I wouldn't have to upgrade the Processor or the RAM, but I really don't know all that well.

thats a good one just get a good gpu and an os if yah want and your set to go
what games you going to be playing

Ah bummer, I didn't realize it didn't come with an OS. That means it doesn't have Windows XP, 7, or anything right? How much would that cost?

Also, I don't think it came with a monitor, so that would be another 200$ right there for a decent sized one.

Think I'd be able to scimp on the GPU and go for a 100$ one?

I'll probably be playing WoW mainly. Other games are likely though, down the road.

Will your set up be able to play WoW, and music at the same time, without lagging terribly?

Perhaps glance online while doing those two?

Also, does yours come with a tower to put all those parts inside?

Back
Top Bottom