improve the ipad

it is released isn't it? just look at apple's site

Well it's in the Apple Store but it's not out yet. WiFi model gets released in 60 days and the 3G model gets released in 90 days.

At ESA that was a semi joke when I talked about the price increase for the 3G model with GPS lol. But honestly I think it was the right move because it gives more price ranges for people that don't need 3G. Would you rather have a base price of $629 with 3G or the option to buy one without 3G for $499.

I personally think that these are going to eventually take over just like the iPhone revolutionized the smart phone market. Remember when the iPhone was released? I actually remember starting a thread here about it when they started advertising it and everybody was so against it saying it was a dumb idea. Now look at how popular it is.

Netbooks are alright but there not meant to be a laptop/desktop replacement. There small and portable designed for doing simple tasks. I guess if you want to you could use them for pretty much everything but I'm sure at least 90% of people that own an actual netbook also have a desktop/laptop too.

It's the same concept with the iPad. It's not meant to replace your PC/Laptop. It weighs 1.5 pounds and if you take a look at some of the accessories on apples site, IE the leather folder with flip up stand. Take it with you on a family visit to show off some photo's and pass it around. Pretty much anyone can grasp the concept of running there finger across the screen to flip through pictures. Less clunky than a laptop to pass around and have people click through photo's.

Imagine sitting at home on the couch watching some TV. Nothing good is on and you feel like browsing the web a little. Touch screen interface is going to kill any laptop/netbook experience for basic browsing. Or in the morning having a cup of coffee. Check your mail, maybe download a podcast of your favorite series to watch or just read a newspaper. I think you'll soon find magazine subscriptions coming via the iPad. So much for newspapers and magazines when you can just download your monthly issue via the iPad. Not only would you get the articles but you could access video reviews too.

There are a lot of possibilities here. The interaction is much better than a netbook/laptop with the multi touch screen interface. Sure it has it's handicaps but remember it's not supposed to be a replacement device. People love there iPhones for the media functions and this is just a larger version that's still portable and provides a lot of the same functions with a larger more user friendly screen.

All it really needs is multitasking and a better os that can run actual programs and not just these apps as well as the ability to have multiple windows onscreen simultaneously. I'm not saying I don't like the apps but in addition we need some real productivity programs ie office suite so someone on the road who only has their ipad on them can get some work done since I can see a lot of people who get these to go out and about with just their ipad and no additional computer

Edit: now that I think of it the ipad just seems like a tool to show things off to other people. you are more likely to just flip it over and show someone a picture or video of something you did or somewhere you have been or whatever.

All it really needs is multitasking and a better os that can run actual programs and not just these apps as well as the ability to have multiple windows onscreen simultaneously. I'm not saying I don't like the apps but in addition we need some real productivity programs ie office suite so someone on the road who only has their ipad on them can get some work done since I can see a lot of people who get these to go out and about with just their ipad and no additional computer

I'm not sure why you'd want multiple screens on a 9.7" screen but to each his own. Chances are if your using this out on the road you can wait 3 seconds to switch between a program and time isn't a factor. If you need to multi task you'd just take your laptop with you. Btw, It does feature full programs such as iWork to get productivity done.

apple-creation-0356-rm-eng.jpg

oh I didn't realize it had iwork. That is like an apple version of ms office?

I still think it would be a good feature to have multiple windows just in case you want to copy and paste something

oh I didn't realize it had iwork. That is like an apple version of ms office?

I still think it would be a good feature to have multiple windows just in case you want to copy and paste something

Pretty much it features a document app, spreadsheet app and a presentation app.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/

They also have Office 08 which is compatible between Mac and PC. This is the one that's more like Office 07 for PC. I'm not sure if that will be available on the iPad or not though.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/office2008/shop-now.mspx

I guess I can see your point about the copy/paste. I'm sure the copy/paste feature will be integrated in like the iPhone with touch hold the hold to paste. I use backgrounder with pro switcher so I can background apps and switch between them quickly. I think that would be more effective then running 2 windows side by side around 4" in size.

However if you do look at the iWork photo I posted it looks like in the right picture it features tabs on top of the boarder to switch between workspace which would be considered multi tasking. I guess that wouldn't do any good if you wanted to paste something between programs though.

I use backgrounder on my jailbroken ipod touch but that will only work if the ipad gets jailbroken.

it just annoys me to be honest, because 3rd party people will start making apps for it now, yet, there are better products out there that don't get half the attention Apple gets, and for what?!

Back
Top Bottom