improve the ipad

esa193

Fully Optimized
i know theres a few posts but i felt like making another
i followed the ipad coverage and i feel apple screwed them selves
they could have had a sick product, as big as the iphone
here are my complaints
1. why run an obvious netbook replacement on iphone os
a modified leopard would have been ten times better with multi tasking leopard os programs plus throw in ipod app support and you have a huge o/s hit
2. no camera!?! this this screams ichat/oovoo/skype video chat on the go and on top of that your not even going to give me the option to take regular pictures?
3. no built in usb or hdmi? just plain stupid....
4. chip choice... i cant really speak of how apples new chip will preform but i much rather would have preferred an intel chip such as atom or even a higher end one with nvida's tegra solution. would dramatically increase graphics power for gaming plus giving you 1080p out put. Download a movie play it off your ipad right to your big screen tv
5. 120 bucks extra so i can pay AT&T 30 bucks amonth for data? RIP OFF
how about every one includes a sim card slot and i have the ability to choose AT&T or T-Mobile that way the to can compete and that 30 bucks might drop down to 10-15 bucks

hopefully the hacking community will pull threw and give me an os choice... and depending on chip power and ram....windows 7 would be sick ;P

My oppinion summed up in one solid picture:

ipad.jpg

i know theres a few posts but i felt like making another
i followed the ipad coverage and i feel apple screwed them selves
they could have had a sick product, as big as the iphone
here are my complaints
1. why run an obvious netbook replacement on iphone os
a modified leopard would have been ten times better with multi tasking leopard os programs plus throw in ipod app support and you have a huge o/s hit
2. no camera!?! this this screams ichat/oovoo/skype video chat on the go and on top of that your not even going to give me the option to take regular pictures?
3. no built in usb or hdmi? just plain stupid....
4. chip choice... i cant really speak of how apples new chip will preform but i much rather would have preferred an intel chip such as atom or even a higher end one with nvida's tegra solution. would dramatically increase graphics power for gaming plus giving you 1080p out put. Download a movie play it off your ipad right to your big screen tv
5. 120 bucks extra so i can pay AT&T 30 bucks amonth for data? RIP OFF
how about every one includes a sim card slot and i have the ability to choose AT&T or T-Mobile that way the to can compete and that 30 bucks might drop down to 10-15 bucks

hopefully the hacking community will pull threw and give me an os choice... and depending on chip power and ram....windows 7 would be sick ;P

1. It's only running a 1Ghz CPU and it's not meant to be a full fledged laptop. It does feature software like iWork on it for productivity. I'm sure the multi task aspect will be taken care of with a jailbreak. I just don't think they put the multi task in because it lowers battery life and most people only run an app at a time. Lets face it most people aren't power users that do multi tasking on a computer. They just want to surf the web and check there mail. This device is perfect for both.

2. I agree not putting a camera was a bit dumb. Think of the camera as an addition to the next model. Apples notorious for leaving out features to get new people to come running each year.

3. I don't really think no usb or hdmi isn't stupid. One big reason is to probably keep the size smaller. It's got full blue tooth connectivity so what do you really need USB for? Virtually everything is going wireless these days so it's just another step to making that happen.

4. What is the obsession with 1080P on a 9.7" screen? It's just a buzz word and completely pointless on a screen that small. The chip is designed for the tablet. You have to remember there not trying to replace either your phone or your laptop. This is just bridging the gap.

5. Then don't buy the 3G version and use WiFi. You do also get GPS with the 3G version if that's any consolation. It is sold unlocked and features a Micro Sim card slot. I'm not sure if you'll be able to use say your At&t sim card and put it into that directly and use that data plan. That would be nice if say I could take the sim out of my iPhone and pop it right into that. I don't see why it couldn't be done because that's the same $30 I pay for my data anyways.

Besides I wouldn't complain about $30 here. I'm amazed that they aren't charging $60 like all the other subsidized net books out there.

Why am I only paying $20 for my iPhone plan?
Is it because I bought my phone outright so it isn't subsidised?

Anyway, I think its kinda cool but it really needed some more research. Tablets always fail for a reason.
I still think it should be a touch/swivel netbook.

IDK about the OS atm. It appears to be iPhone OS, but you know apple. It could just as easily have its own OS.

As far as the 3g thing, seriously?
Apple didn't include 3g chips in all of them because they cost, and it means adding a lot to it. For tthe majority of users, it would be a huge waste of money putting in the extra feature. The iPad is not subsidized by the phone carrier, therefore YOU have to pay for the 3g chip, not AT&T.

I bet AT&T starts subsidizing them with $60+ plans soon though.

It is not ment to be a phone or work laptop. You use it for movies pictures and emails. The no usb was a smart idea. Now it is called Bluetooth.NEW. Use it

Personally I think that the device looks awesome.

I don't like the huge bezel.
and I think that it'd be nice if you were able to use a stylus so that you could write and draw directly onto the device...

in fact get me a blue tooth keyboard and a book stand and it replaces my work laptop overnight, and has the added benefit of being ultra light weight and portable (more so than a normal laptop). I can take it with me to client sites to document things, carry it round data centres etc...

I assume that if it has the same connector as the regular ipod then video out is already sorted and that it can already connect to a laptop to sync.

so that's all I can really think of that'd actually improve it.
make the screen bezel smaller/thinner.
give me a blue tooth keyboard and a stand for when I want to use the device as a laptop (on a desk).
and make sure that there is a port in the bottom for connecting it to a dock of some kind... -that provides video out.
(and if there is no camera allows me to connect an external camera).
provide a stylus so that I can do detailed work, or quickly take hand written notes.

ability to use some kind of flash card for getting data to and from the device might be nice, but I assume that data can be transferred over wifi anyway.

price is amazing.

I understand that this isn't a phone, and it's not quite a laptop, and it's bridging a gap. but honestly, if I buy a device like this, I don't want to have to have a netbook as well for the things that it can't quite do.

I hope it can at least be jailbroken to expand functionality even just slightly and add multitasking.

the ipad fails to be a productivity tool but then again it's apple even their macs are just expensive toys imo

The no usb was a smart idea. Now it is called Bluetooth.NEW. Use it
Irrespective of the ipad, bluetooth is NOT the new USB. :/

For what they are, I don't think they're bad - but I certainly won't be getting one. I just don't see the advantages over a normal netbook at the moment?

I can get a netbook with a proper keyboard (not to everyone's tastes but I prefer it), with around the same size screen, with USB, with webcam, with the ability to multitask, that can run flash and other browser plugins, that I can hack about with and that runs a full OS rather than a souped up version of the iphone OS for <£300. Yes, they're a bit bulkier, but when neither fits in my pocket a tiny bit of extra thickness isn't something I care about.

But then again, I'm a geek that doesn't care about touch screens, looks, ability to sync with other apple stuff or the ability to say I've got the latest and greatest apple offering. If I was going to get a tablet (which I don't plan to at the moment) I'd wait and get one of the others hopefully coming out later this year. Most of the others run android, a far more hackable, versatile and in my opinion outright superior OS.

Personally though I'm not convinced that these tablets will take off in the slightest - I for one will be sticking with the good old netbook. Whilst the idea is interesting, I do wonder whether this time round apple have hit a corner of the market that doesn't really exist.

I could of course be completely wrong - it'll be interesting to see! :)

Just get an Eee PC, put in a touch screen, and hackintosh it, then you have a MUCH more useful device with most of the features of the iPad.

Though if they made a keyboard with hinges that you clip to the bottom to make it into a laptop, that'd be really awesome.

Back
Top Bottom