New PC Help

Had me excited.

Edit:

Anyway, back on topic, all I really know about parts is that I need a rig that can run any game that's currently out, and any game that may come out in the next 2 years at 50 fps at the very least. This baby's gotta last me because I may not be able to buy a new one for a long long time.

One thing that concerns me is that I heard the radeon hd4890 is better than the 5 series in the sense that it will run games better, and that the 5 series' only advantage over the 4890 is that it's dx11 capable, but nothing really utilizes that yet.

That chart is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, it would have been nice to see that while ordering my last pc. It's hard when you rely solely on word of mouth.

Now if only there were a chart for every component LOL.

That chart is exactly what I've been looking for ever since I started buying my own PCs. Now if only there were a list like that for every component LOL.

I don't have a budget per se, I'd just PREFER not to spend more than $1400 or $1500. I still live at home for the time being so all of my pay goes right into my pocket, I'm tryin to buy a pc that's good enough to last a few years so that I have lots of time to move out and settle before having to buy another. I'm not gonna have the money to buy a PC shortly after moving out.

That site also has hard drive and CPU benchmarks. RAM performance is pretty easy to determine.

Well the only way I understand how to gauge ram is by the GB, everything else is jibberish to me. All I know is that I'd like 8 gb haha.

With DDR3, you'll see three main categories. 1066, 1333, and 1600, though there are higher. That number refers to the clock speed of the RAM...how many megahertz it runs at. Technically the highest official standard is 1333, so anything higher has to be "overclocked" to its rated speed.

1600 is what I'd get.

Of course, there is more to it than that. The timings come into play as well as the voltage. Lower voltage is good. You'll see something like "7-7-7-24" or "9-9-9-25" on its specs page...that's the timing. Lower numbers are generally good.

Some motherboards, particularly intel's x58 boards, are picky about what RAM they use. That's probably what you'll want, so be aware of that.

I know absolutely nothing about mobos. I'm completely 100% in the dark when it comes to them, I don't even know what mobo I have. I really don't know what to watch out for.

Back
Top Bottom