Please help me! (With this computer stuff! this is the "teen build guide" dude!)

Re: Please help me! (With this computer stuff! this is the "teen build guide" dude!)

Tough luck man...that's a non-standard case you've got there. What's the specs on that? Pentium 1-2 I bet.

I'm having a hard time finding a pic of the guts of the 4500, but I believe at that point in time they were using mostly mATX mobos. That may or may not be a BTX case. It could even be that funky clamshell design like they used on the optiplex line. (though the larger ones were still mATX)

The other problem with Dells (and several others) is that they use a proprietary connector for the switches and lights. (power button, HDD light, etc) However, with a bit of work you can make that connector work. I've done it.

It's not really a big deal to run caseless though...just make sure the mobo is sitting on something that isn't conductive. Anything paper, cardboard, or wood will work admirably.

That's right ;) Pentium 2!! No wonder he gave it to me for free! :eek: But, what's free is free, right?! :D

I might go caseless, but that would be kind of difficult :confused:. It would be a cool experience, though.

And what's up with your icon?!?! lol. I am asking people on Criagslist who are selling their custom computers if they could sell their case alone. :D

Re: Please help me! (With this computer stuff! this is the "teen build guide" dude!)

its hard to find someone who will part there case out and caseless is easy just build it on cardboard plus you can get to it faster but you will have to dust it out more

Do you have any small-ish computer repair shops nearby? They often get junk computers as trade-ins and whatnot, and a lot of the time will just junk the cases. I got a good ATX case once that was ugly as sin but was solid as a rock. I was stupid and gave it away though...now I'm looking for another.

its hard to find someone who will part there case out and caseless is easy just build it on cardboard plus you can get to it faster but you will have to dust it out more

That's true. I might do it, I might not. I think I might get this and sell the PSU like I was originally planning on doing.

Do you have any small-ish computer repair shops nearby? They often get junk computers as trade-ins and whatnot, and a lot of the time will just junk the cases. I got a good ATX case once that was ugly as sin but was solid as a rock. I was stupid and gave it away though...now I'm looking for another.

I have one, but I already emailed them about computer cases and they said they don't have any of that stuff. I could ask them if they take computer trade-ins and if they have any extra cases that they were just going to throw away. I'll do that right now!

You won't get much for that as a trade-in...just so you know....lol

You won't get much for that as a trade-in...just so you know....lol

Haha. I'm not trading it in, I think you misunderstood the post. Haha. Oh, and he forgot to give me the power cables for both things!! I asked him if he had them, though. If he doesn't, do you think I could buy them? If so, where??

I used to have that monitor. Its effin huge!!!
Like I couldn't have a keyboard in front of it on the desk. Anyway I used the huge flyback transformer in it for some electronics projects (DO NOT ATTEMPT LOL) it was cool though back in the dinosaur ages when people still used round crt's.

Lol, it is huge. I've got one sitting at the foot of my bed.

I used to have that monitor. Its effin huge!!!
Like I couldn't have a keyboard in front of it on the desk. Anyway I used the huge flyback transformer in it for some electronics projects (DO NOT ATTEMPT LOL) it was cool though back in the dinosaur ages when people still used round crt's.

It is huge!!! I don't know if I should even get a cable -- maybe I'll try to get a different monitor!

Back
Top Bottom