External HDD Issue

compguy91

Fully Optimized
Ok so I have a 100GB Maxtor External HDD which I use to back up my files. Well my computer had some nasty malware on it so I decided to just back up my files and reformat. The reformat went great, however when I try to access my external drive it says "incorrect function" and won't show any information about the drive. The good news, I guess, is that I don't hear any weird clicking noises, and the hard drive seeks (light comes on, can hear it seeking justl ike any other HDD) when I click on it from my computer. What do I do to fix it? Right now I'm running a scan with HDD Regenerator and having it go through and fix the bad sectors, so far its found over 400 bad sectors and it's only 3% through. I just want to get my stuff off of this drive and then it looks like I'm going to buy a new one, I just hope it's not permanently dead.

Here's what else I've tried:
1. Changing USB Cables
2. Turning drive off and on, as well as other plug outlets
3. Trying it on 2 other computers. Same problem with both

I've had pretty good luck with HDD Regenerator as well. This is in no way a permanent fix, though. As soon as you can possibly get your files off of that drive and onto a new one, do it. Good luck...

Thanks. I will definitely be getting my data off of there as soon as it's finished. Good to know someone has had good luck with HDD Regenerator :) It's taking awhile on my PC but its also found and fixed a lot of bad sectors so I guess it's worth it.

A friend had a similar problem a few years back. He backs up his projects to 3 or 4 external drives.

Anyway I stripped the external drive and plugged the PATA drive into the mobo as you would with an internal drive to access the information.

Another one of his externals has 'gone down' so I'll do the same.

I blame the USB interface on these things.

Thanks. I will definitely be getting my data off of there as soon as it's finished. Good to know someone has had good luck with HDD Regenerator :) It's taking awhile on my PC but its also found and fixed a lot of bad sectors so I guess it's worth it.

It took 2 days to finish scanning and repairing my nephew's external drive, but eventually he got all his important files copied over in time.

Back
Top Bottom