Hdmi

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Alright, so this is my second post in... two days :D sorry about that.

I'm getting a 50" plasma from a friend... for 500$. I'm going to take him up on that deal...

My video card, the 4870, does not have an HDMI port. It would be very convenient to keep my computer hooked up via hdmi so I don't have to have a sound cable as well as a vga/dvi cable.

Also, if I have this TV on the other side of the room, I won't have the multiple cable thing going on... but I know I can get a 25' HDMI cable and it will be fine.

My question is I want to play bluray movies off my computer on the TV. Like... a 16gb file. I know this will work with my computer on a 50in (tried it on someone elses) but it seems that other computers don't have a good enough video card to play the bluray movie.

I don't want this to be the case. I can play them fine with the 4870, which is to be expected, but I don't want to have an hdmi card that can't hold its own.

About 30$ I can get a 512 card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

Is that good? Or should I go with one of those nifty 60-100$ cards?

HOLD UP! The 4870 has built in sound good sir, the dvi>hdmi adapter puts out sound through the hdmi cord.

Just make sure you find your adapter that came with the card.

Woah! Are you kidding me? I was wondering what on earth their reasoning was for a DVI to HDMI adapter... other than the obvious. I didn't thing DVI could transfer sound, much less just screwing and adapter to it.

Thanks for the idea, I'll have to look that up! I currently have dual monitors connected to my 4870, but I have another VGA card. It will save me from spending 100+$ on a HDMI card... just so it can handle bluray!

Anywho, I'll leave this question before I go and look it up:

Will a DVI/HDMI cable work with that?

(Computer) DVI------------------------------------------------HDMI (TV)

Wait CBrooks, You have the same card as I do.

You made it sound like you have an HDMI cord and you have an HDMI-DVI adapter.

Will it work with a DVI cord with an HDMI adapter?

Thanks!

Woah! Are you kidding me? I was wondering what on earth their reasoning was for a DVI to HDMI adapter... other than the obvious. I didn't thing DVI could transfer sound, much less just screwing and adapter to it.

Thanks for the idea, I'll have to look that up! I currently have dual monitors connected to my 4870, but I have another VGA card. It will save me from spending 100+$ on a HDMI card... just so it can handle bluray!

Anywho, I'll leave this question before I go and look it up:

Will a DVI/HDMI cable work with that?

(Computer) DVI------------------------------------------------HDMI (TV)

Wait CBrooks, You have the same card as I do.

You made it sound like you have an HDMI cord and you have an HDMI-DVI adapter.

Will it work with a DVI cord with an HDMI adapter?

Thanks!

A DVI to HDMI cable will work, just make sure it has all the pins. HDMI derived from DVI. My friend does this with a 3870. He used the ATI adapter he got with an HDMI cable and everything works.

Back
Top Bottom