Apple Tablet (iPad) announced today!

So they just announced Apples new heavily rumored tablet the 'iPad'. I think it's a rather interesting idea and does sort of bridge the gap between the iPhone & MacBook line. I don't think they have announced the price on the device but I'm sure it will be around $800. It's supposed to be compatible with the app store as is and developers can download the new SDK to scale their current apps to the iPad.

Overall I think it's interesting and I'm curious how well it will sell. I can honestly see this as being a handy device. For example when I'm at home on the couch or in bed and to lazy to grab my MBP I'll use my iPhone to do some browsing to kill some time. This device falls right into that category where your just sitting around and want to view the web or show off some photo's. Just grab your iPad and go to town. I'm sure with the 9.7" screen, using Mobile Safari would be a really fun experience. I'll post a couple pictures and if you want all the details check out the live blog with lots of photos and info.

So discuss what do you think of Apples new tablet?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/

apple-creation-0193-rm-eng.jpg

apple-creation-0159-rm-eng.jpg

apple-creation-0132-rm-eng.jpg

apple-creation-0096-rm-eng.jpg

apple-creation-0109-rm-eng.jpg

I was sold until the last picture...

could they not have made the keyboard fir the device?

I know that the OS is the same as the iphone OS so I have pretty high hopes...

what with it being bigger, yet thinner and more functioned that devices like the kindle I can see this taking the e-reader market by storm.
the fact that you can get a colour screen as well, (whilst the kindle has only grayscale).

if Apple are clever then they'd make this an essential college device, and release an optional stylus so that you can take notes on it in the same what the you do on paper. (I'm not talking hand writting recognition -though that'd be a bonus), just basically a app that lets you take hand written apps and save them as a picture.

the screen borders are a bit ugly though, it's almost like a picture frame, (and I don't like that).

This looks pretty awesome but just like the people on engadget have pointed out, what is up with the huge bezel?? I imagined it to have almost no bezel and all screen.

I hear it also does not support flash.. yikes

I hear it also does not support flash.. yikes

hopeully this device might mean an end to that.

the problem with supporting flash is that apple don't like people writing apps that interface with other apps, (in the most basic terms). so no flash pluggin is available for mobile safari since this would be an app running within an app.

this is a tablet PC, so if it's going to be used for mobile browsing the flash is pretty high up the wish list...

so I guess all we can do is hope that apple buckle and allow flash in mobile safari, then flash would be able to be put on the iphone too.

I do agree that the lack of flash is somewhat disappointing. You know Apple hates old technology, IE MMS and they are trying shift things to HTML5. Here is an update with the pricing of the devices which really isn't that bad. If the next iPhone model doesn't deliver I may just hold off on upgrading my 3G and pick one of these up. It's also cool that they made WiFi only models then WiFi plus 3G models. It would be really nice if I could share my iPhone internet on the iPad through bluetooth through.

apple-creation-0378-rm-eng.jpg

It's just a bigger version of the iPhone. Why would you need a bigger iPhone???

This looks pretty awesome but just like the people on engadget have pointed out, what is up with the huge bezel?? I imagined it to have almost no bezel and all screen.

You need to have some space to fit your hands.

could they not have made the keyboard fir the device?

Fit or for? If you meant the latter, Apple's own Bluetooth keyboard works with the iPad.

I'm completely on-board with the idea. Not the prices. That seems a little expensive for a fairly limited device. With some other features, it might be worth that amount.
And uhh...They couldn't pick an original name? The "i<xxx>" trend is getting a bit old.

You need to have some space to fit your hands.

Fit or for? If you meant the latter, Apple's own Bluetooth keyboard works with the iPad.

I meant that I thought that taking up the whole half of the screen was excessive...
on an iphone it's needed, half the screen is comfortable typing space.

but it seems excessive on this device.
then I realised that you could probably actually type on this screen with that massive keyboard and now it doesn't seem like such a terrible idea.

Back
Top Bottom