PowerPC to Intel?

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
i have a PowerPC 4th Gen computer sitting in my room at the moment. I like the whole Mac thing, but since im pretty much constantly broke these days, i cant afford a new mac.

i want to upgrade to one of the newer OS's (10.5, 10.6) but i understand that 10.5 required 1.00GHz minimum, and for 10.6 you must have an intel chipset.

my question is, can i swap out the motherboard in my mac g4 for something like a core 2 duo compatible one, and still be able to run?

sorry for ask a probably dumb question, but im a bit of an Apple noob when it comes to the old stuff.

~darkey

You don't have to have an Intel chipset for the new ones as far as I remember. I'd not bother. It would probably cost you as much for just a motherboard and processor from Apple (and probably used as well) as it would for a whole other used system. Live with 10.4 (as I assume that's what you have), or get a whole different system. It costs more that it would be worth to upgrade a Mac, they are a totally different beast than PCs in that aspect.

Back
Top Bottom