Mac vs. PC

berry120

Fully Optimized
...no. I don't want anyone's opinions on either ;)

What I was wondering about however was whether anyone would be for just adding an outright ban on mac vs. pc threads - we've had a few of them as late and they never end up going anywhere. At best they end up irritating everyone and containing loads of silly fanboy responses from both sides, at worst they end up causing huge arguments.

When there's so much on the web about this sort of thing already and it's been discussed many times here before (so if people want to search for said debates they can) then I really don't see the point in any new discussions on the topic.

Thoughts?

An all out ban, no.
A ban on a thread with the topic being nothing more than "mac vs pc", yes.

A few examples:

"Hello I'm new, to start off my posting; Mac vs pc" - No.
"Mac vs PC" - Yes.
"New macbook it can now do flips, does this change your opinion? Mac vs pc" - no
So if the topic is JUST mac vs pc. Then yes, but if there is any new information or it's a new user posting for the first time then no.

What I was wondering about however was whether anyone would be for just adding an outright ban on mac vs. pc threads - we've had a few of them as late and they never end up going anywhere. At best they end up irritating everyone and containing loads of silly fanboy responses from both sides, at worst they end up causing huge arguments.

When there's so much on the web about this sort of thing already and it's been discussed many times here before (so if people want to search for said debates they can) then I really don't see the point in any new discussions on the topic.

Thoughts?

There is a very simple solution for dealing with threads you find controversial or just annoying - don't participate in them. If you know the thread is going to end up in an argument, why would want to post in it in the first place? Some people like the Mac vs. PC debate. Just remember, nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to post. What you may find irritating, others may find fascinating. There is no need to ruin other people's fun unless that is what you enjoy (ruining other people's fun).

A ban on a thread with the topic being nothing more than "mac vs pc", yes.
I should've been more clearer - that's exactly what I meant.

There is a very simple solution for dealing with threads you find controversial or just annoying - don't participate in them. If you know the thread is going to end up in an argument, why would want to post in it in the first place? Some people like the Mac vs. PC debate.
I don't find the mac vs. pc debate irritating in itself - if it could be done properly it'd be a worthwhile and interesting discussion. But that's not what happens whenever the topic is brought up here, and I can't see there's any use in any more generic "mac vs. pc" arguments.
Just remember, nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to post. What you may find irritating, others may find fascinating. There is no need to ruin other people's fun unless that is what you enjoy (ruining other people's fun).
You've missed what I was trying to say somewhat I'm afraid. I don't find the debate irritating, I find the arguments and ad hoc misinformation from both sides irritating - which is what comes up whenever this sort of a thread is started. There's many topics on here that come up that I don't find interesting (and more that I find annoying or just don't like) so I just don't post in them. But I don't think it's beneficial to anyone to have a thread full of petty arguments and misinformation - which is practically always what these "debates" turn into!

If you disagree then fair enough, I'm not trying to cause more arguments and push this through as a definite rule. I'm just throwing it out there to see what others think - if no-one else agrees then fair enough!

Yeah, I kinda figured it was pointless to have an opinion on this one. I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut next time...

The thing I find most annoying is the fact that all I hear against Mac's are price. People have no other excuse to hate on them. It's actually pretty funny. Then when I find laptops that cost the same amount which are made with really cheap plastic, they start to bitch about price again. I want a legitimate debate between the two. It's not the cost of a Mac vs. cost of a PC. People piss me off when that's all they talk about.

There is a very simple solution for dealing with threads you find controversial or just annoying - don't participate in them
win

followed by
The thing I find most annoying is the fact that all I hear against Mac's are price. People have no other excuse to hate on them. .... People piss me off when that's all they talk about.
=Fail.

anyway. long story short. no ban on talking about specific subjects in threads. we've never banned specific subjects really -other than those defined in the rules. and I can't think of a good reason to start.

(especially not banning talk about computers on a computer forum).

win

followed by

=Fail.

anyway. long story short. no ban on talking about specific subjects in threads. we've never banned specific subjects really -other than those defined in the rules. and I can't think of a good reason to start.

(especially not banning talk about computers on a computer forum).

Thank you.

he said don't argue about Mac Vs. PC and you one and only post in this thread is restating your last mac vs pc post regarding cost quality of macs and pc's

it's fail because you clearly didn't even read the thread, or if you did read you didn't understand. the OP is asking for a ban on discussing the difference between macs and pc's, not inviting you to discuss it here.

you so fundamentally missed the point of the first post in the thread that you far from stating your point that there might actually be a point to the mac vs pc discussions you in fact went almost completely off topic on a tangent of arguing about macs vs pcs.

so yes, when the point of the thread is saying that the OP hates mac vs. pc discussions, and your only contribution to the thread is to discuss the differences of macs and pcs it is a fail, a fail of quite epic proportions.

if you should like to discus the differences between macs and pcs I believe that a thread already exists in the social lounge [that has gone onto that discussion topic], and you should feel free to discuss the differences of mac v.s. pc there, this forum section however is suggestions comments and feedback, where threads (such as this one) are placed to amkes suggestions and ask for changes regarding the forum (like asking to ban all mac v.s. pc discussions). it is, most definitly, not the correct place to be discussing the differences between macs and pc, no matter how valid your point may or may not be.

Back
Top Bottom