Looking for ideas.

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I'm going to be building/buying a new PC in the next 1-2 months. First, what I plan to do with the thing/requirements:

I'm not a HUGE gamer, but I do play a fair bit of WoW (what a great time killer it is...lol) and would like to be ABLE to play games. right now I have a netbook so it'd be nice to at least have the option...cuz right now, I don't. (However...the little pocket rocket HP Mini 1020NR plays WoW quite well!) So...a 512mb - 1gig GPU is preferred.

I am a musician and need the thing to be able to run my recording software without issue. Therefore, I want 6-8 gigs of ram at least.

I'd like a TB of space, preferrably with RAID 5.

Then comes the processer...AMD vs Intel...ahhh yes...the ubiquitous "vs" scenario. I'm really torn. This is one of the main things I came here for...a bit of insight on this matter. I know AMD is cheaper and Intel is "better" (for simplicity's sake...just go with it...). This presents a big issue for me. I don't want to skimp on this machine. I'd love the new i7 but I don't know if I really need it. What are everyone's thoughts on this matter?

I'd also like a tv tuner card and it has to have HDMI for goin to my HDTV.

Also, I plan on sifting through the Build Guide when I get a min. Don't have time at the moment so I thought I'd throw this out real fast.

Open to any ideas, insights, thoughts, whatever from all of you!! Thanks!

I use Reaper with multiple Amplitube and EZDrummer VSTi plugins. Reasonably taxing, RAM heavy stuff...

Love Reaper 3 and it loves multi-threading CPU's. I've got EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer. You'd like Superior Drummer and the interface isn't that much more complicated.

I had to upgrade in October last year and after running AMD machines and after researching I went for an Intel i7 set up. I needed the extra resources that it offers. And i'm happy with it.

Based on the music production side of things i'd go for the same CPU, RAM and motherboard in my sig. The motherboard offers 10 SATA connections with RAID options, you get a Texas Instruments Firewire chipset which are very reliable with firewire audio interfaces and you get the great Intel X58 chipset - SLI or Crossfire options.

Obviously you'd go for 3X 2GB RAM an to top it off, the Core i7 920.

What audio interface have you got?

See...that's what I was thinking. The good thing about the i7 right now is that, since it's top dog, it'll take longer to get outdated. I don't want to have a badly outdated computer in a year. I fear that, if I got the cheaper AMD route, that would happen to a greater extent.

i7 it is...

I use a Behringer interface: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-U-Control-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I plug the guitar into it with a simple, 5 dollar 1/4" to dual RCA cable. ASIO4ALL V2 driver makes it all work. Works like a charm.

I'll check out that other drum prog after I get the new box put together. I've more than reached the limits of my little netbook. This thing AMAZES me, though...

See...that's what I was thinking. The good thing about the i7 right now is that, since it's top dog, it'll take longer to get outdated. I don't want to have a badly outdated computer in a year. I fear that, if I got the cheaper AMD route, that would happen to a greater extent.

To be fair the i7 and the AM3 CPU's will be around for a while yet. So either/or will be fine but the i7 will give you more resources to work in terms of CPU power.

i7 it is...

I use a Behringer interface: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-U-Control-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I plug the guitar into it with a simple, 5 dollar 1/4" to dual RCA cable. ASIO4ALL V2 driver makes it all work. Works like a charm.

I started out with a Sound Blaster card. Which worked wonders until I upgraded. Now I have the M-Audio Delta 1010. You'd do well to upgrade to an interface with dedicated instrument inputs or add a small mixer to what you have. The input impedance of your interface is only about 27K ohms which can load the output circuits of the guitar deteriorating the sound. Typical instrument inputs usually have input impedances of >1M ohms! Much better on the delicate output circuits of a guitar.

Also experiment with running the guitar to a guitar amp and miking it up. You'll get a different sound that you could use/mix with the DI guitar.

I'll check out that other drum prog after I get the new box put together. I've more than reached the limits of my little netbook. This thing AMAZES me, though...

Let me know how you get on.

:)

Yup...the upper 1/3 of the AMD line will be around for quite a while I'm sure...just like the upper 1/3 of the Intel line will. I just can't help but think the Intel stuff will have a bit more staying power in the long run. Either I'm sure would work though. But, I'm not necessarily in it for best "bang for the buck" right now...I am looking for the most bang...lol...

i7 it is...

The little Behringer thing actually sounds quite good. I'm only running it into my little netbook for now. When I get the new PC and start seriously writing and working on my "madd production skillz"...or lack there of...I'll probably upgrade. I even have another interface that came with a Steinberg Cubase SL software/hardware package deal I bought years ago. I could even use that I suppose. I never really liked the thing though.

I don't have a mic (need an SM58) but I did go through my amp using the headphone jack on it and it sounded pretty cool. Made the gain MUCH higher. It was hard to keep from clipping.

I think it's amazing how your doing all this with a HP Mini 1020NR!

I've been AMAZED with the little thing. So amazed that I actually bought 2 of them. Plays WoW quite well...runs the recording software pretty well as long as you keep it kinda simple...can't have a ton of tracks, VSTi's, effects, etc running at once but it does work amazingly well to lay out some drum tracks and jam 2 guitar tracks and a bass track, complete with AmpliTube modeling, over them.

All that and it fits in my cargo pocket!...WITH THE POCKET BUTTONED!!

Yo Rem...whaddaya think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147037

i7? No...but it is it's little brother. Damn not bad for a grand!!

Back
Top Bottom