Building first Computer. Case question

ivelrrat

Beta member
I have some brand new parts that have been sitting around for a while so I decided I will build my first computer. I have no problem with this I have been messing with computers for a couple years now. what i need to know is...

I'm buying a new mother board i think ASUS M4A785-M from newegg and because i"m a cheepo I want to know if I will run into problems if I try and use a 6 year old oem gateway case from a dead computer of mine? will it not line up right? would it just be better to buy some $20 case?

it would be best to buy a name brand case. if you go to cooler master's website, the have a bunch of case marked like 50% from retail prices because they were returns.

I have some brand new parts that have been sitting around for a while so I decided I will build my first computer. I have no problem with this I have been messing with computers for a couple years now. what i need to know is...

I'm buying a new mother board i think ASUS M4A785-M from newegg and because i"m a cheepo I want to know if I will run into problems if I try and use a 6 year old oem gateway case from a dead computer of mine? will it not line up right? would it just be better to buy some $20 case?

the only way you're going to be able to tell if the mounting screws are going to line up correctly is to look in the case, if you really don't want to get a new case and want to use the case you've already got then you should get the other parts before the case and try them for size. a lot of manufacturers do use normal ATX cases, so all the mounting holes conform to this specification, though there are a few exceptions, (dell tend to make their own boards with different specifications, yet ASUS use normal boards that are ATX specification compliant).

If I remember correctly, gateway do use ATX spec cases...

before you start though, how old is this old gateway? is it an ATX board or an older AT board?

Back
Top Bottom