closed-minded 'experts'

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1002586 said:
So we buy a computer based on Spec's alone? Hmm, Interesting, I thought we bought computers to perform tasks, run/design software & use various external,internal hardware. Sorry I guess I'm not an expert on the subject.

As far as I'm concerned your post is the best so far of 2010. We buy computers because of the spec's. Nobody takes into account what they can actually do with those spec's.

Dude - Lighten up. He said "much else".

Oh and you missed it earlier. I was talking about the HDD getting wiped by magnets. lol.

come on guys, lighten up, its all preference.

personally i like macs, and windows, for different reasons. the key to getting any point across is to be open minded and not conform to one way of thinking.

its the fundamental, #1 rule to making a point.

one the one hand _______, but, on the other hand ______.

but in response to the 2000 mac Vs. 2000 pc, id never buy a PC that expensive, because it would still be running the same OS as i have now, in much the same way, just with small functional differences (different GPU, CPU etc) and increased speed. though if i had 2000 to blow on a computer, it'd be a mac, because i just love the Mac operating system, and the enhanced experience you get from using apple products as opposed to Windows, better customer support etc.

come on guys, lighten up, its all preference.
Rep for that comment. These things always tend to get heated and I personally don't see why everyone has to jump down everyone's throats all the time...

Don't like Mac well that sucks for you because your really missing out. How many of the members here criticizing apple have used the latest offerings from Apple?
I have (used the new macbook pro that is) and they're not bad in any stretch of the imagination. If someone gave me one then sure, I'd take it, use it and defend it.

So is price the only problem I have with macs? To be honest, yes. At least it's by far the main one. But as far as it goes - that's a pretty killer flaw. There's no argument with the fact that I can get a normal laptop of an equivalent spec for far cheaper and do my work just as effectively on that. And why would I pay more for something that I personally see no extra benefit in having?

But that's just me. And I fully admit that won't apply to everyone.

Some people are willing to pay more for any number of things - looks, the software that comes with it, they might prefer the user interface, they might even require one for a certain job function. That's fine by me, I'll use my windows / linux based machines and you can use your mac. Not a problem, and aside for the odd joke here and there I'm not going to comment.

At the end of the day we can argue about this (and have argued about this previously) until everyone's blue in the face and hating each other. So is anyone with me on saying can we just drop this debate now before it turns into a more heated discussion than it already is? No-one's ever swayed by these debates (at least I've never seen it) and we just hear the same old points every time going round, and round, and round.... it does get a tad boring.

So I'm not arguing one way or the other, but from what I can tell the most legitimate arguments either way are these:

Mac:
Works well with other apple products [though sometimes ONLY apple products]
Resale value [I couldn't care less, but it's important to some people]
Lighter OS than Windows [both both can run linux, which is usually lighter than both of them]

PC:
Better Price/Performance ratio
Can build from scratch/upgrade [you can upgrade a mac too, though not to the same extent]
Many hardware manufacturers (means competition, thus lower prices) [also means compatibility issues]
Better software support (dual booting, linux, and VM's help, but OS/X being limited to apple hardware breaks it)

Seems as though PC/Windows is winning, to me...
(Keep in mind, I'm looking at them as both hardware AND software platforms.)

(clarification in parentheses) [My thoughts in brackets]

The debate is pointless. There is so much misinformation, it's not even funny. I've tried to correct it in the past, but people still continue to believe what they want.

I like PCs because they're more unique looking. There's tons of way you can customise the stuff inside, the OSes, overclock, way cheaper, and has quite a lot of support.

It's also the fact that PCs are much more universal in running OSes, applications, heavy games, light games, office, Video editing, photo editing, audio editing, etc.
Mac has less to offer, but it's still widely used, like Multimedia (Audio/Video/Photo) Editing, applications, Web surfing, office, etc. They lack in games, and the flexibility Windows and Linux has.
There's multiple functions of a PC:
Budget PC for internet or office, Midrange PC, for home use, High-End PC, which has quite some power under the hood, and is also good for gaming. There's the gamer's PC, which is crazy what's in there. All overkill specs, water cooling, and a whole lot more that a gamer can kick everyone's butt. Now, we all have good GPUs, and that doesn't mean it's a gaming monster we have too. It's just one of the example I'm using.
There's HTPC, for the living Room, to entertain a lot in a family, wether you game or not. There's Slim size PC, EEEbox, Terminals...and a bunch more.

As for Macs...ok, they're all looking alike, they have just imacs, Mac Pro, Macbook, Macbook Pro, and the paper size Macbook Air. Mac Minis...just take that out to the trash.
I see that they just want to keep things simple, and I don't mind with that...but someone tell me...what's so cute with it? Stainless Steel? Plastic? Really? There's some good stuff, like backlights, a glossy screens, and more. In fact, I still wonder why laptops aren't even doing that. That's good. And the OS...well, it's simple to use on a Mac. Really. I've never seen a drag and drop into a bin, and have it installed. It's a stable fast OS too. I like the OS in Mac, like I like pretty much every OS that produces stuff.
Some designs aren't the best. The HDDs, on some iMacs ar not completely 90 degrees on the side or flat. It's angled a bit, so that forces the bearings and eventually will cause premature death.
You can add RAM in Macbooks...but in iMacs? Mac Minis? Nuh uh...You need SPECIAL tools...while as branded PCs, even the AIO PCs, with a touch screen (Take that Apple), you can just remove a couple of screws and you're done. Heck, some even are a tool-less. (Macbook air is OUT of the question, due to its thiness.)

But, they do all the same stuff, but PCs do more. Macs can Dual-boot with Bootcamp...which is kind of cheesy for a PC tech. On PCs, you want to dual-boot or more? Install an OS on each partition, and just configure your boot settings, or install a Linux distro at the end.
Mac has a BIOS...that I can't find how to get in. PCs tell you how...even though it might not be the best idea ever. (Non-techies can screw things up)

So, I prefer a $2000 PC with a Silverstone Stainless Steel than a $2000 Mac Pro. Why? Silverstone makes Kickass series! There's plenty of other companies that does the same.

Bottom line, Macs and PCs can still produce stuff, but PCs got the variety and the affordability.

Now, if someone tells me to shut up or I don't know my shit...or whatever kind of crap that sounds similar...you are at least one of the three there:

-Fanboy
-Close minded and just hates PCs and PC users
-Just won't read/listen/think for a while

/Opinion...

PC - variety & affordability

Mac - up-time reliability.

if the laptops go down on us during a show, or even a live performance (yes im a musician and a sound tech) the whole thing grinds to a halt. Before we started using Macbooks. these problems were common enough, since even with 4GB of DDR3 Ram, the controls programs we were using were too heavy on the system and often ended in crashes. We decided we need to either upgrade to higher spec laptops, but when confronted with a price of about £700 each to upgrade to laptops capable of live-show use, we decided to go Mac for the added reliability and customer support.

im sure this would make sense to anyone whos ever conducted a computer-based live performance.

ALSO, mutant corn, would you be the same mutant corn from UG?

Another Mac/PC discussion?

:rolleyes:

I use my PC for audio production. Nuendo 4, Cubase 5, Reaper 3, Reason 4, lots of virtual instruments, processors, plugins, etc and haven't had a problem. But judging by views over at SOS there's no difference running an audio pro suite on PC or Mac and as I've mentioned before it all boils down to what software you prefer to use. No idea why 'the industry' prefers the Mac but there you go, it ain't needed.

Having said all that I would run a Mac Pro with my current set-up because I like some of the software and to gain experience in, what is, a machine favoured by the industry.

Anyway, to the OP, introduce the said know-it-all here for a refreshment course!

:D

I'd like to point out this isn't a debate about MAC vs PC (at least it's not supposed to be). The Thread topic is closed-minded 'experts'. Pretty sure that has no relation to PC vs MAC. Sure the original post suggests that a guy supports one BUT the point is he never used the other one....

I say this has gone on long enough and should be ended/closed.

Back
Top Bottom