Case Log - ???

I need to get myself a good sleeper computer. Kick ass hardware in an ugly beige case from 1994. I don't actually think that would serve any purpose at all. But it would still be lightly humorous.

If anyone robbed your house, you wouldn't have to worry about them stealing the computer. :p

Nice work, sometimes it can be a pain making do with the tools you have.

It doesn't look bad by any means.

Thanks, Grant. It'll look better with a paint job and the window/door screen covering the front to hide all the ugly edges. I'm going to try to fit the case back on it as well. I'll post up a picture if I get it to fit..which it should.

I need to get myself a good sleeper computer. Kick ass hardware in an ugly beige case from 1994. I don't actually think that would serve any purpose at all. But it would still be lightly humorous.

That would we slightly funny. But still cool.

Nice work, sometimes it can be a pain making do with the tools you have.

Thanks Cabbs. Yeah, I have a dremel, but the cutting wheels I can for it really suck for metal. So, I ended up using tin/metal snips for quite a bit of the work, and when they wouldn't fit, I reverted to the "bend-it-til-it-snaps-off-cleanly" method, which probably worked the best out of the 3 options.

The ONE thing that I think looks like complete crap is the front panel with the USB and the buttons. I don't have anything small enough (without drilling 30 holes) to cut out that panel. I'll try and find a different way to attach it coming up. Maybe an old 5.25" drive bay cover or something.

Do you not have drill bits? You could grab some simple LED lamps and some momentary switches at Radio shack or something.

No, I've got a crap load of bits...well, to cut relatively thin stuff anyways. That frickin' stainless steel bar I used to support the DVD drive took about 10 minutes to drill the holes. It was pathetic. I need a drill press. Hahahahaha.

But, yeah, I've got all the stitches and LEDs that I need, I just had no ideas on how to fab something up with what I had around. But I found some more scrap tin metal that I might try to use to make something. I'm still not sure how I'll attach the front USB/audio though because it has it's own circuit board (aka, can't be mounted flat on a piece of metal) which is why I have it screwed into the plastic thing (the plastic thing is the case's front panel thing with the on/off & reset switches) so that it doesn't short out.

Case fit back on perfectly:

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

Oh, and the red switch controls the front 80mm fans. They are both from PSUs, so they are pretty high flow and sound like a jet engine. Literally louder than all of my fans in my desktop cranked to max.

Back
Top Bottom