Newbie Networking Question Concerning Workgroup

dodger805

Beta member
Hi,
Just wondering if it is possible at all to share an application in a Workgroup network? If I share an entire hard drive over a network, would that give me acess from the other computer to use this hard drive's applications or do I need another license? Thanks in advance.:D

No. You can not 'share' an application. The only thing that would be shared is the files. You need to have another license (and if you had another license you would install it on the other computer).

The only way to run an application that is installed on Computer A, on Computer B is to connect to Computer A from Computer B remotely. And technically the app is running on Computer A when you do that. I'm also guessing that you want to run the app on both computers at the same time and you won't be able to do that.

If you can give more details about what you are trying to do (the app, what it does, why you need to run it on 2 computers) we might be able to help you come up with a solution.

By "sharing" you can dump the install files into a public folder(Windows 7)

Or you can share your entire hard drive where the file is located. Make sure if you do that that you put on "READ-ONLY" for all files unless you want them to be able to make changes.

You can also make it to only share the specific folder, that way your privacy won't get invaded.

If you share anything over a network, everyone connected to the same network will be able to view your files, so be careful.

Alternatively, you can set up FTP to remotely access your computer from anywhere. That's what I do when I'm away from home.

Back
Top Bottom