building help. plz

ben68

Baseband Member
hi, im building a new gaming computer and theses are the things i am going to use. can u give me any advice on it and if i should change something to save me money this costing me about:$800
:D

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
AMD Phenom II 550 Dual-Core 3.1GHz CPU
XION SOLARIES 403 GAMING MEDI TOWER CASE
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 4GB KIT DDR3 RAM
PSU 680W 680 watt ATX Gaming
ThermalTake XTuner IR Wireless Bay Fan Controller A2203
NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 GT 9800GT 512MB DDR3 VIDEO CARD

hi, im building a new gaming computer and theses are the things i am going to use. can u give me any advice on it and if i should change something to save me money this costing me about:$800
:D

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
AMD Phenom II 550 Dual-Core 3.1GHz CPU
XION SOLARIES 403 GAMING MEDI TOWER CASE
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 4GB KIT DDR3 RAM
PSU 680W 680 watt ATX Gaming
ThermalTake XTuner IR Wireless Bay Fan Controller A2203
NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800 GT 9800GT 512MB DDR3 VIDEO CARD

OK. So here's what I got.
Change case to Cooler Master 690 Mid Tower
Change the motherboard to the ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 790FX
Change CPU to a AMD Phenom X4 9750 2.4GHz
Change RAM to OCZ Reaper 2x2GB DDR2 1066
Change Video Card to SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Change PSU to Corsair 650 Watt PSU

You build wasn't bad, but your CPU and video card weren't powerful enough to match the DDR3 RAM. What I did was was take down the RAM speed to DDR2 which is plenty, up the CPU to a Quad, get a better motherboard, and a better video card. All these parts will be pretty even performance wise now. It all come down to $760 USD.

And a word of advice, ditch the fan speed adjuster. You can easily adjust fan speeds using free 3rd party software.

No point in downgrading him. A Phenom II, or even an Athlon II, would be faster than that old Phenom. That GPU will be severely bottlenecked by the entire system.

Also, both AM2+ and DDR3 have been replaced by newer hardware platforms...the cost isn't worth it anymore. All new CPU's, should he want to upgrade, will be AM3, and the old DDR2 RAM is much slower and has a lower memory cap.

Ben, if you use your original build with an ATI graphics card, you'll be in good business.

An older quad will be faster than a newer dual. An AM3 CPU and DDR3 RAM, but that would have put him almost $50 over his at minimum.

Only for applications with 4 threads. If he's playing a game, the 550BE will be faster.

Getting an older quad also means that he can't upgrade to a newer quad, should he so choose. That's like going with an LGA 775 over a 1156. Doesn't make sense.

Also, an Athlon II quad would be faster than an old Phenom...why not do that?

ok thanks so do i keep the stuff the same or would you change something? and have you got any advice on what ati video card to use

I'm still trying to track down all of the stuff you have in your build. Can you post links? What hard drive, disk drive, and operating system are you going to use?

Based on what I've found so far, using newegg for all but the fan controller, your build should cost about $650 before the drives and OS. I can improve on it though, especially if you're willing to spend $800.

If you aren't really willing to spend $800, name a price and we can find you the best rig for that exact price. Don't give a maximum budget and hope it doesn't reach that, though...if you give a max, we're going to hit it. XD

Oh damn, you're an Aussie...no wonder the prices weren't adding up!

So $150 for the video card? Here:
Radeon 5670
http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/134080/...-EX_5XXX_SERIES/PowerColor/47125050-25551.asp
This is a beast of a card, and supports DirectX 11. (DX11 is the newest version...just came out)

If you need a cheaper one, the 4670 is still really good...basically an older version of the same thing:
http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/131828/VIDEOCARDS_RADEON_PCI-EX_4XXX_SERIES/XFX/HD-467X-DDF2.asp

The rest of the stuff looks ok, except for the PSU. The ebay ad doesn't even list the brand of that PSU...avoid that. That's the one component you don't want to skimp on.

I'd check the site I posted for a good PSU from an established brand, and also to see if your other parts can be had cheaper, or if you can get better ones for the price. They definitely have a much, much better selection. I'd do it, but I've just realized it's 7 in the morning and I need to sleep. :(

http://www.techbuy.com.au/

yeah, thanks for your help. im not sure what video card i will go with yet. i will think about it. but i will be 1 that u suggested. thanks for the other web site it helped a fair bit with stuff.

what size power supply will run my stuff

Back
Top Bottom