Credit Card dealies..

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Ok so you guys old enough to remember the 90's, remember the like, sliding credit card copier machine that was around before the new POS device?

now, is it possible to use those older sliding credit card machines to get someones info from there card and spend there money, like money theft?

i was thinking about this because a friend of mine bought something and that is what the guy used instead of a veriphone machine or w.e

this really does concern me.

EDIT:
i am not asking this to take advantage of it, i just want to be sure my friends account is safe.

Oh, yeah dude.. It's completely still in play as far as CC theft. There isn't really any "new" special device to stop this. Except for device response.

For example (in the most simplistic form):
Machine: Oh hi! That will be 9.99 /Machine gets card number
Card: 9.99 #12345 /Card sending number
Machine: Oh thank you #12345, But what would be the code response for night. // Machine asking for the "password for the response 'night'"
card: Jello // The card giving the response. "jello" is the response.
Machine: Thanks, have a nice day. //Machine exiting the process.

If I was your friend I would cancel that CC.
EDIT:
Of course this is usually not the case in CC's. Just encryption. Which can be broken.

EDIT2: To reduce some confusion.

There is a possibility for fraud yes.

but not if you trust the establishment.

these machines are used when the electronic POS has failed, (because for many places you can't just say that you don't take cards now).

te shop will likely process all the transactions when the machines are working again, and they will appear to the credit company as cardholder not present transactions, -so to them it just looks like he paid over the phone.

why cancel it?
they just payed for something with a debit/credit card, and the dude used one of these.

http://www.abtekusa.com/abtek_site/img-credit-card-processing-big.jpg

but not one like that, it was like, the one were you place the card on a metal thing and you push a bar over it and it makes a payment...ugh wish i could find a pic of it

There is a possibility for fraud yes.

but not if you trust the establishment.

these machines are used when the electronic POS has failed, (because for many places you can't just say that you don't take cards now).

te shop will likely process all the transactions when the machines are working again, and they will appear to the credit company as cardholder not present transactions, -so to them it just looks like he paid over the phone.

thx Root, this is what i figured lol

^^
i tried to, but i have no idea what it is called.
it ISNT what is in the pic, its the contraption that was around in the 90s before the machine in the pic existed Oo

remember what its called?

Back
Top Bottom