Build Guide for Teens

How is his build not a budget machine? Just because it doesn't use old technology doesn't mean it isn't a budget build. Yeah, it's possible to build one for $250, but it will get "slow" pretty quickly, and probably require a motherboard/cpu/ram triple upgrade to get it up to speed again.
you completely missed the point of what I was trying to say, which was a response to a single post by a different member urging the OP to get a good PSU, the point I was making is that an OK one will do for now, whilst a really good quality one would be something for the future. bear in mind that I'm thinking about the prices in Britain as well. a $300 build is sub £200, the last power supply I bought, (and recently gave away to a friend) cost about 1/3rd of this total build budget, and to be honest it was wasted money. and IF we start saying go out and get this high end PSU you won't regret it, and whilst you;re there get this this and this is very quickly stops becoming a budget build and starts doubling or tripling in costs. the OP appears to be going down a bit more of a money saving route...
(like get a free case from craigslist/freecycle...).

and whilst a case that someone else is giving away might be an ugly POS, good things can come of that too, (like an interest in case moding)

And having saved $50 on a case, might see fit to just get the PSU that he'll want to end up with now.

BTW, TS, you can play games in ubuntu. It's called WINE:
http://appdb.winehq.org/index.php
who's TS? and who said that games couldn't be played under Linux?

RAM: Corsair Value Select PC10600 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz - $50

The board that you spec'd has four slots for RAM.
you'll be filling half with 2GB, but most likely want to upgrade very soon as 2GB is pretty basic entry level amounts of RAM now.
if you spend $7 more you can get the same amount of memory on one stick.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4433881&CatId=4534

leaving you more room for expansion later.

you'll be filling half with 2GB, but most likely want to upgrade very soon as 2GB is pretty basic entry level amounts of RAM now.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4433881&CatId=4534

HEY, THANKS! (for all the suggestions!!!)

Yeah, I'll want to upgrade later. But, I did look this up, and it looks like TigerDirect messed up. Under the ratings & reviews/whatever, it actually says it only comes as one stick. (yay!!) already thought about it. But I'll double-check, make sure, contact TigerDirect, and all that before I actually buy it. (actually, I'll do that right now!) If they say it comes as two, I'll get that one.

I emailed them and they said it does come with only one stick :)

you completely missed the point of what I was trying to say, which was a response to a single post by a different member urging the OP to get a good PSU, the point I was making is that an OK one will do for now, whilst a really good quality one would be something for the future. bear in mind that I'm thinking about the prices in Britain as well. a $300 build is sub £200, the last power supply I bought, (and recently gave away to a friend) cost about 1/3rd of this total build budget, and to be honest it was wasted money. and IF we start saying go out and get this high end PSU you won't regret it, and whilst you;re there get this this and this is very quickly stops becoming a budget build and starts doubling or tripling in costs. the OP appears to be going down a bit more of a money saving route...
(like get a free case from craigslist/freecycle...).
Oh believe me I know how quickly the costs can rise, haha. There's a "for only $15 more..." part for every component. :(

Which post were you responding to? Because I don't think we've been trying to get him to get a high end psu...just one that isn't a cheapo.
and whilst a case that someone else is giving away might be an ugly POS, good things can come of that too, (like an interest in case moding)

And having saved $50 on a case, might see fit to just get the PSU that he'll want to end up with now.
Nothing wrong with an old ugly case. :p I'm still trying to figure out how to use a 10 year old Gateway tower in my build.
who's TS? and who said that games couldn't be played under Linux?
TS means Thread Starter...same as OP. He was under the impression that you couldn't use windows programs on linux at all.

Nice find! It's only 1333, but still...it'll suit TS's purposes admirably.

Which post were you responding to?
dude's

Oh believe me I know how quickly the costs can rise, haha. There's a "for only $15 more..." part for every component. :(
I did see the irony in my own posts, in one breath saying, try to keep the costs down... in the next saying, ahhh for just a few dollars more you can get this instead,
especially when the part that I was suggesting offered absolutely no performance increase or advantage at all! only a little space saving on the assumption that he'd definitely be upgrading in the future!

Guess I could've just looked back a page...I feel dumb now :(

I did see the irony in my own posts, in one breath saying, try to keep the costs down... in the next saying, ahhh for just a few dollars more you can get this instead,
especially when the part that I was suggesting offered absolutely no performance increase or advantage at all! only a little space saving on the assumption that he'd definitely be upgrading in the future!
Oh no, don't get me wrong...$7 isn't much to pay if it means you don't have to buy another whole set later on. That's good planning.

You know how it is though...there's always something that's just a little bit better and only costs a little bit more, but by the time you're done with all that the build is $100 over budget. It's frustrating. :(

TS seems to favor the opposite though...

your foegetting the mobo has onboard graphics too
Forgot to answer this earlier.

It actually doesn't. H55/H47 motherboards don't have gpu's built in, because the Clarkdale cpu's they're built for already have gpu's in them. The outputs on the motherboard are linked to the cpu die.

You know how it is though...there's always something that's just a little bit better and only costs a little bit more, but by the time you're done with all that the build is $100 over budget. It's frustrating. :(

TS seems to favor the opposite though...

Lol, that's because I'm only 13 and making money is a challenge. But seriously, I haven't actually down-graded at all (besides the case if you count that - and the CRT monitor, which people suggested).

Not from your original build, no...but other people posted several that would be serious upgrades.

However, with your current setup, you'll be able to upgrade to a pretty powerful computer anytime you want, should you be son inclined.

Not from your original build, no...but other people posted several that would be serious upgrades.

However, with your current setup, you'll be able to upgrade to a pretty powerful computer anytime you want, should you be son inclined.

I'm glad :D

Oh my gosh, I'm at Apple right now. I've never noticed how redicilous they were. They are selling a Macbook Air for $1499 for the following specs:

120GB HDD
2GB RAM.
1.82GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
13.3"

WOW! So glad I'm building my own :D

^ Yup.

Part of the Air's price does come from its size, but all-in-all it's really not worth it.

edit: I need to look at my posts before I hit the post button. Never heard of anyone being "son inclined"!

Actually, what I really need to do is learn to type without looking at the keyboard...:(

Back
Top Bottom