closed-minded 'experts'

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
dont you just hate it when someone calls themself a computer 'expert' or 'techy' but have only ever used one operating system and conform to one company's products? i know a guy, who throws insults around towards OS X and Linux/GNU all the time when he's trying to sound clever, but has never used anything but Windows. He only buys computers with Intel processors because apparently AMD are 'knockoffs' of intel.

Expert he says? i think not.

any similar dealings people?

dont you just hate it when someone calls themself a computer 'expert' or 'techy' but have only ever used one operating system and conform to one company's products? i know a guy, who throws insults around towards OS X and Linux/GNU all the time when he's trying to sound clever, but has never used anything but Windows. He only buys computers with Intel processors because apparently AMD are 'knockoffs' of intel.

Yeah to be an expert you have to be open minded - especially with technology - because at any time something better could come along and you have to be willing to adapt an learn.

I can be like that. I usually prefer Intel over AMD. I have owned plenty of ATI and Nvidia graphic cards. So not so much in the GPU section. I hate when people just knock things off for price when they don't know anything about it.

Lol you can see that all the time on newegg. An "expert" claims a router sucks because he can't configure it because it didn't come with a setup CD....

But yes, David is right on. An expert needs to be open minded. I may bash mac (Mostly because of their new anti-pc commercials), but I understand that Macs are a god-send to some people like graphic designers/musicians.

I'd also like to add that an expert needs to know when to ask for help, and shouldn't be afraid to ask for a second oppinion. No one knows everything, and no one gets a problem solved right the first time, every time.

another thing that annoys me is the anti-everything attitude.

i mean, all this hatred between users of different platforms seems unneccesary. i joined in an argument between a machead and a windows user yesterday, and defended OS X, mainly because the arguments this idiot was using to bash Mac we're total rubbish. way i see it, he deserved to lose due to general idiocy.

the whole 'macs are less compatible' thing is rubbish. with a little know-how you can get any windows program running with something like Parallels or CrossOver. The same isnt true the other way round, unless you go down the hackintosh route.

Totally agree that you MUST be open minded and not afraid to ask questions.
My methodology is to be as open minded as I can be, therefore the only reason why I don't know something. Is because I have not been taught it yet. Whether I have been taught it by another person or teaching myself.

Anyway.. I was reading a comment on the mac thing. I don't use macs a lot so this is a legit question for me.. Are there anything on the mac/OSX that are open source? If so, what is the general ratio with open source and operating systems?

An expert must not judge a product he hasn't tested, or a brand that he had a personal bad luck on. He's got to think what best fits for the user's need. If they just bash things...some people could even feel confused as to what to buy...Instead of bashing, you can give your opinions, and show what's best for them, and learn from the products you hate as well. Just because it doesn't do "this" or it's "overhyped" or it's a Mac, doesn't mean that they're not usable.

Totally agree that you MUST be open minded and not afraid to ask questions.
My methodology is to be as open minded as I can be, therefore the only reason why I don't know something. Is because I have not been taught it yet. Whether I have been taught it by another person or teaching myself.

Anyway.. I was reading a comment on the mac thing. I don't use macs a lot so this is a legit question for me.. Are there anything on the mac/OSX that are open source? If so, what is the general ratio with open source and operating systems?

there are just as many, if not more open source applications for OS X than there are for Windows, probably because OS X itself is UNIX based and therefore has similar compatibility to Linux/GNU. Obviously, Linux OS's like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Redhat and Debian have the most open source software, because they are open source themselves.

Generally speaking, the more you know about computing (or even a narrow subset of computing) the more you realise you haven't a clue about!

For that reason, I'd say anyone who claimed to be an expert in computing in general is just talking utter tosh. There's just too much to know to claim to be an expert at all of it! Even narrowing it down to a specific language - I wouldn't believe anyone who claimed to be an expert in Java for instance unless they'd had at least a solid decade's worth of experience, with the proof of knowledge to back it!

there are just as many, if not more open source applications for OS X than there are for Windows, probably because OS X itself is UNIX based and therefore has similar compatibility to Linux/GNU. Obviously, Linux OS's like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Redhat and Debian have the most open source software, because they are open source themselves.
Oh. Hm didn't know that.

Generally speaking, the more you know about computing (or even a narrow subset of computing) the more you realise you haven't a clue about!

For that reason, I'd say anyone who claimed to be an expert in computing in general is just talking utter tosh. There's just too much to know to claim to be an expert at all of it! Even narrowing it down to a specific language - I wouldn't believe anyone who claimed to be an expert in Java for instance unless they'd had at least a solid decade's worth of experience, with the proof of knowledge to back it!
I r expert in java xD
I am taking it this semester so far I know all about System.out.println!
I r the man!

Back
Top Bottom