Build Guide for Teens

If it's better to get the absolute best now and never settle then we'd all have rigs costing thousands of dollars, and there wouldn't be any budget machines... also it might be many years before the OP actually gets a computer at all.
How is his build not a budget machine? Just because it doesn't use old technology doesn't mean it isn't a budget build. Yeah, it's possible to build one for $250, but it will get "slow" pretty quickly, and probably require a motherboard/cpu/ram triple upgrade to get it up to speed again.
if you're low on money now, I still think that it's better to start out buying something to get yourself going, whilst carefully planning your purchase to make upgrades possible in the longer term.
...which is basically what we're trying to get him to do, right? AM3 and DDR3 is about as carefully planned as it gets. That system will take modern upgrades for quite a while. An older system will not.
What are you saying is usable? note that I'm posting from an old laptop, just a 1.8GHz single core pentium, with 1.5GB ram, and it's running windows 7 and all the applications that *I* want to run just fine...
why is there a need to immediately stick in the best and most expensive components?

there is a fine line of the budget dictating the build and the build dictating the budget...
He posted a budget of $400, and we got him a better system than what he was after for under $350. It's not even close to having the best parts in it...it'll be just enough to do what he wants. He's already said that he wants to edit videos and eventually play games...both cpu/gpu intensive tasks.

BTW, TS, you can play games in ubuntu. It's called WINE:
http://appdb.winehq.org/index.php
What's the problem with buying a case that comes with an OK PSU, (assuming it's good enough for what he wants to run now), then upgrading the PSU at a later date?
The problem comes along if it's not an OK psu. Buying a low quality one is a big risk to take...

...which is basically what we're trying to get him to do, right? AM3 and DDR3 is about as carefully planned as it gets. That system will take modern upgrades for quite a while. An older system will not.

He posted a budget of $400, and we got him a better system than what he was after for under $350. It's not even close to having the best parts in it...it'll be just enough to do what he wants. He's already said that he wants to edit videos and eventually play games...both cpu/gpu intensive tasks.

BTW, TS, you can play games in ubuntu. It's called WINE:
http://appdb.winehq.org/index.php

The problem comes along if it's not an OK psu. Buying a low quality one is a big risk to take...

Good :) That's one of my main concerns. Especially because my birthday is coming up soon, and I'm gonna be 14. Then, I'll be able to ask for better parts and get a job. I'm glad I'll be able to upgrade with ease :D

Don't remember saying that... I don't know if I'll be editing videos ALL that much. Maybe if something was like "Windows Movie Maker", then I'll be using that quite a bit w/ pics & text -- but nothing serious like streaming video.

Thanks for letting me know about that! So, I'll actually be able to open .exe files and play Windows games?! That we be FRIGGIN AWESOME! thanks :D

I think I'm going to go with this bundle. It seems like a good price & excellent quality. Although it comes with the same "cheap" PSU that was included in the other one, I actually think I'm going to use it. It seems like there was a bad batch of those PSUs, but I haven't seen any complaints in over a year. I think I'll keep that one until my needs are higher or until I have enough money to get another one (without using gift money) -- whichever comes first. ;)

Don't remember saying that... I don't know if I'll be editing videos ALL that much. Maybe if something was like "Windows Movie Maker", then I'll be using that quite a bit w/ pics & text -- but nothing serious like streaming video.

You said you'd want to play mid-level games a couple times, and in one post mentioned video editing. The mobo you've got picked can do that, so you're set. :)

Thanks for letting me know about that! So, I'll actually be able to open .exe files and play Windows games?! That we be FRIGGIN AWESOME! thanks :D

It is awesome, isn't it? Keep in mind though that some programs may not work properly, though you should be able to use most anything.

I think I'm going to go with this bundle. It seems like a good price & excellent quality. Although it comes with the same "cheap" PSU that was included in the other one, I actually think I'm going to use it. It seems like there was a bad batch of those PSUs, but I haven't seen any complaints in over a year. I think I'll keep that one until my needs are higher or until I have enough money to get another one (without using gift money) -- whichever comes first. ;)

I'm not going to argue about the psu anymore, but if that blows up I'm not going to feel sorry for you.

if you going witht the 400 budget
check this out for the price its good
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5651109&sku=B69-1166
then you can upgrade to an i7 if they get cheaper or even an i5

OH.
MY.
GOSH.

THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

I went on FreeCycle, and it seems like I can get a free monitor, keyboard, and tower from an extremely nice person :) That will bring me down a bunch of moolah!

Seriously, I might get that and sell the case. OH MY FRICK :D

I'm not going to argue about the psu anymore, but if that blows up I'm not going to feel sorry for you.

Lol, I'm going to get a diff one :) I might get that bundle, mann!

the bundle that vinman posted seems good and you'd be able to upgrade to an i7 later on.

Yah know what?! I think I'm gonna stick with my "rig", because it fits my needs :D Even though that seems AMAZING!! (which it is) I think I'm gonna stick with my build. Especially because I'm getting a free Tower & Monitor. (Shweetness!)

Or...

Do you think I should get that && just sell the case for another $60, bringing it down to $340!? But then, I'd still have to get the other shanazz for $30 (the DVD drive)

Actually. I might get that. Haha (I'm a little wishey-washey if you can't tell ;))

It increases my HDD by 250GB.
It only costs like $30 more because I have to buy the fans and drive.
CPU is a ton better.
RAM is doubled.
Everything is faster...!!
Except, I'm never going to be able to upgrade my RAM in the future, because the MOBO only has 2 mem. slots :( Even though I doubt I'll have to :D

NOT TO MENTION MY FREAKING PSU WON'T BE RISKY!!! FRICK YEAH!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After researching and looking at the ratings, most of these things have horrible ratings. I don't even want to risk it, just because it might be a little faster. I might be better off getting my rig... what do you think?

It's actually ok. That PSU isn't really a cheapo. It's not the best thing ever built, but it'll do the job. The rest of it is good quality parts, though the case is a bit spartan. However, I don't think the integrated GPU in the i3 can hold a candle to the setup in the other mobo.

As far as the RAM goes, DDR3 is capable of huge stick sizes...one of the main benefits of it. With DDR2 you're lucky to find a 4GB stick, but we'll have 32GB DDR3 sticks before too long.

So basically it's a good build, but honestly, for the price of that, you could upgrade your current build to something better overall.

It's actually ok. That PSU isn't really a cheapo. It's not the best thing ever built, but it'll do the job. The rest of it is good quality parts, though the case is a bit spartan. However, I don't think the integrated GPU in the i3 can hold a candle to the setup in the other mobo.

As far as the RAM goes, DDR3 is capable of huge stick sizes...one of the main benefits of it. With DDR2 you're lucky to find a 4GB stick, but we'll have 32GB DDR3 sticks before too long.

So basically it's a good build, but honestly, for the price of that, you could upgrade your current build to something better overall.

yupp. I updated my build on the first post-- cheaper and bettah. I'd quote it for yah, but I'm on zee phone.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - $62
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD - $100
RAM:
Corsair Value Select PC10600 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz - $50
PSU: Thermaltake PurePower 430-Watt - $30 (after rebates)
HDD: 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - $55
Case: FREE!
Disk Drive: LG GH22NP20 DVDRW Drive - $30
Case Cooling: Masscool 120mm Fan X2 - $6

TOTAL: $328 (including rebates!)

EXTRAS (that I need):
Wireless Card: Sabrent PCI-G802 PCI Wireless Card - $15
Keyboard and Mouse: FREE standard keyboard & mouse
Monitor:
FREE 15" CRT monitor
Speakers: FREE Speakers

TOTAL: $15

COMPLETE TOTAL: $343(including rebates!)

There you go :) I only need $100 more! :D Sorry about my bad grammar earlier :p

your foegetting the mobo has onboard graphics too

Back
Top Bottom