Case Log - ???

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, "???" because I haven't a clue what I'm going to name it yet.

All I can divulge at this moment is that this:
IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Will soon house this:
IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

Be prepared to be semi-blown away (because it won't be terrifically epic or anything, but will be quite thrifty).

Start thinking of a good name for this build. I thought maybe "Question Mark" would be a good name, but probably not. So maybe when I divulge some more info, you can think of something. The winner, by vote, will get the name painted/sharpied on the case when finished.

You're going to put an ATX mobo into what appears to be a mATX case? This will be interesting.

You, sir, are correct. Hehe.

Pics:
Rivets drilled out to remove the fixed drive bay.
IMG_1185.jpg

Had to even out the surfaces somehow. Old wall trim was the perfect size.
IMG_1188.jpg

Now, I had to make standoffs to keep the MB off of the wood and metal surfaces. Some old plastic hangers of some sort did the trick here. The holes were the perfect size for actual MB standoffs. I didn't want to risk just screwing the MB standoffs into the wood (as they may have ripped out overtime), so that's the reason for all the jury rigging. It took about an hour to align everything. It took a lot of guess work.
IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

So, then, so far in about 5 hours time I completely removed the drive bay and fitted the MB. Now, any ATX MB will fit in this case.
IMG_1194.jpg

Next up: Cut the steel out for the I/O panel. Hopefully I can get the MB's I/O panel to fit. If not, I'll just leave it open, no biggie. Then, I'll need to figure out how I'm going to fit in the CD/DVD drive. I'm thinking I'll enlarge the hole where the old PSU used to be fitted (the very small rectangular hole mid-way up the back of the case). I'll have to figure out some kind of bracketry. Also, where the old expansion slots were I'll be cutting them out and placing an 80mm intake fan there--probably put one where the old exhaust hole was as well. Oh, and btw, the hard drive on these old Gateway cases actually mounts at the top of the case, so that'll probably still fit there. I'll probably end up mounting the PSU outside of the drive bays. When it's all fabricated, it'll get a coat of fresh black paint and hopefully some kind of design.

That is the most ghetto invert I've ever seen lol. That should almost be a name for the build. "The Ghetto" in Diploma font.

You should see how ghetto it's going to look when I get the I/O plate attached. It doesn't quite sit flush, so it's going to get bolted through. Hard to explain, I'll post pics later.

I'm worried about your mountings for your 3.5 and 5.25 drives. If you have a plan for that, I can't wait to see pics. Looks interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom