Server Almost Complete

So my Server is almost done:

-1Ghz VIA C3
-1Gb DDR
-80Gb

Just waiting for a 1U PCI Riser card and an IDE Cable.

Anywho so it's going to run Windows XP with utorrent and the WebUI to take care of my torrents,what else should i use this for?

File sharing? I use mine for file sharing, printer sharing, occasional torrents, and if I need to use a floppy drive (I had a command prompt class last semester). I have a RAID array going on my shared drive.

Using it as a printer server was the main one that jumped to mind here if you could do with one :)

A file server would be a useful thing - the only thing is though you'd need to purchase some extra drives to give it a useful capacity. Going with the idea of keeping the power down, have a look at the WD caviar green series :)

Streaming media? Email server? FTP server?

Having your own online storage is awesome. I've had an internet facing FTP server at home running for years and years, it's great.

Well all i would have to do is forward someparts and my Network FTP Server could be accessed online,i might have a think about that....

have you decided on an OS? My two cents is debian server.... if you know how to use terminal at all that is.

I don't see that debian has any great advantage for a home server, for production server it's great as it's the most stable distro, but that's due to the fact that it follows so far behing the curve for updates.

I'd also say that if you want to learn linux in general debian isn't the best place to start as the syntax and commands are different in debian to *most* other distros.

Back
Top Bottom