Sharing an internet connection to a modem via a RJ45 to RJ11 cable

harknett

Beta member
Wonder if anyone can help?
I currently share a internet connection on one of my computers with a neighbour via there wireless modem and want to make a network using a wireless router I have (Thompson TG585 v7). The router I have has a DSL and 4 ethernet outputs. I have been told that I can feed internet into the router via the ethernet card on my computer using a RJ45 to RJ11 cable, but having a bit of trouble trying to get a feed from the computer to the router, i have tried to look on the internet but can't come up with any awnsers.
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

I see no reason to need an RJ-11. That is a phone line connector. It should go modem>router (via RJ-45)>computer (via RJ-45).

If you are getting a wireless signal from your neighbor into you computer and then want to feed that signal out your computer into your router....well I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

I think you might be able to do this with Internet connection sharing, a switch, and setting your computer as default gateway. You won't have dhcp though so you'll have to set your own ip addresses and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom