Cant put a wep key on my wireless router

harknett

Beta member
Wonder if anyone can help?
I recently purchased a TP-LINK TL-WR642G wireless router and cant seem to secure it with a wep key. I share an internet connection with my neighbor and wanted to extend my range in my house, ie, using it in other rooms apart from the room im restricted to because of the range, so i bought a wireless router and pluged it into my ethernet card and enabled internet sharing, everything works fine untill I try to install the setup disk thats provided, whilst this is installing it ends saying that a connection was not found "although I can get internet off it all over the house". is there any other way i can secure it without instaling the disk provided?

You should be able to navigate to your router's IP address, log in and select your wireless encryption from the front end. That said, you should really be using WPA(2) with a strong password - WEP is next to useless these days.

Yup. And most times, the router's IP address is defaulted to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.10.1, from what I have worked with anyways.

WPA(2) is what you want to put on for security. If you think about how easy it would be to crack a 10 number code. My computer can finish it off and figure it out in about 5 minutes. Giving me plenty of time to play with your router. Access the default page for your router, if you are unsure or have a no name router post up a model number and we can sort out what your default IP address is. Also if you cannot remember your password, just unplug the router and hit the reset button and it will usually reset the system.

Back
Top Bottom